Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What makes a good shed hunting season?

What determines a good shed hunting season for you?

• None. Shed hunting sucks.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
With all the shed hunting going on, it got me thinking. I am curious what others think. I have found some sheds. I have never found a ton of them though. I think I found 3-4 last year plus a matched set first week of the season while looking for a deer with Hank for another hunter. Year before it was 7 I believe. Like I said, I have never found a bazillion in a season like some of these guys, but I put on some miles and enjoy the time afield.

For me, shed season is great for scouting. I have an excuse to get in the field. I like to find at least a few. I am a bit disappointed if I don't find any or say just one or two, but it is better than getting skunked. I have yet to find a "good shed" so this would be the ultimate for me. I guess finding 4+ makes a good season in my mind but I think if I only found 1, but it was a dandy, it would be just as satisfying.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn Phil, what a tough question!

If I had to list just my top three factors in determining if I had a great season or bad season it would be this.

These are my best factors to least important.
1.)quantity, I shoot for 20+ but would like to at least get into the double digits at least.
2.)big sheds...50" plus
3.)freshies, usually less rodent damage and not discolored.

As it has been going, I'd take a 20" shed that 5 years old and moldy....rotflmao

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I used to have more places to shed hunt, 18 is the most I have found in one year. I have found two 160" sets and a few
70 plus sides. The last few years I havent been finding as many. I have almost 300 acres to hunt. Seems like i see more
footprints from tresspessers every year. Theres usually a couple bucks that I want to find there antlers. If i find one of
them im happy. One just keeps me walking. If I find both of them its a good year. The smaller sheds we cut up and
make jewelery, Just didnt know what too do with all of them.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Quantity. I would like to get at least 15. That doesn't make or break a season though. What really is a successful season is having a lot of areas to look that have a lot of deer sign with minimal or no pressure from others.That would be a near perfect season to me, sheds or no sheds.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm one of those guys just happy to find some. I spend more time scouting than looking for sheds and do not consider myself much of a shed hunter. The biggest highlight is finding a shed from a deer you know!

beaston

I'm one of those guys just happy to find some. I spend more time scouting than looking for sheds and do not consider myself much of a shed hunter. The biggest highlight is finding a shed from a deer you know!

I agree , its more of a scouting thing and if I find a few Sheds than I'm happy.

Diablo54

Outside
Getting my little brother to go more would be great. He has found a few already and he's 9. He found one side of this set and me the other
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362754525.432418.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362754533.123915.jpg

Him and dad found this one together a few weeks ago ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362754568.055641.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some great answers there. Sounds a lot like my thought processes. Sort of like looking at the SI Swimsuit Issue and trying to pick out the best picture. "They are all good!" haha Same difference here. All the things which make a good shed season are good. No wrong answers.

I just voted. Guess I could have given more/better options. I had to go with finding one "good shed" would make for a good season. In all reality, the only thing that makes a "bad season" for me is if I can't get out to shed hunt.

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
That's a tough call for me as well, but I would rather find a couple big ones, versas a bunch of small ones. My ultimate goal and for me to call it a successful season, is finding some sheds off of target bucks in my hunting areas. Even smaller sheds off of deer that I had encounters with on stand. I just enjoy that thrill when you get, when first eye contact is made. Awesome!