Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shooting without a peep

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Years ago I didn't use a peep. If I never planned to shoot beyond 30 yards, I'd still shoot that way. A peep is a valuable tool if you want to be accurate. You mentioned the IQ sight the other day; have you tried it without a peep yet?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Years ago I didn't use a peep. If I never planned to shoot beyond 30 yards, I'd still shoot that way. A peep is a valuable tool if you want to be accurate. You mentioned the IQ sight the other day; have you tried it without a peep yet?

currently I am shooting without a peep, and not using the IQ bowsite. However, I just feel really comfortable shooting the bow. I didnt even notice I didnt have a peep till today!

I am thinking maybe this is better for me? Can that be for some?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sure, depending on what you term as accurate. If you are happy hitting a lung-size target at 30 yards, it's great. If you prefer to hit a baseball at 50, you aren't gonna have much luck without a peep or some other system to keep you consistent.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've always used a peep. It helps your accuracy as it keeps your anchor point in check to a certain degree. It does hinder your vision under low light conditions but if its too dark to shoot...it's TOO dark to shoot.

If I were shooting a trad bow I have not or would not use a peep. It's not designed to be on one anyway as the principle with a recurve is to cant the bow and focus on a hair and aim down the shaft.
Am I correct Taylor,Hunna,Tom and other trad guys?

I've always used a peep. It helps your accuracy as it keeps your anchor point in check to a certain degree. It does hinder your vision under low light conditions but if its too dark to shoot...it's TOO dark to shoot.

If I were shooting a trad bow I have not or would not use a peep. It's not designed to be on one anyway as the principle with a recurve is to cant the bow and focus on a hair and aim down the shaft.
Am I correct Taylor,Hunna,Tom and other trad guys?

A ton of guys shot compounds instinctively up until the mid 80's. The whole concept of the compound bow started out as just another way to was to make make a faster easier drawing bow. I wouldnt use a sight on a trad bow. I do have a 1960s ben pearson locksley riser sight around the house somewhere.

at1010,
I don't, but tried a couple different ones and didn't like them...especially in low light conditions.

I'm a right handed shooter. When I come to full draw, I line up the string with the left side of the sight pin guard. I use a kisser button (right corner of my mouth) and sight (look) on the right side of the string with the string on the end of my nose.

As I'm lining up a sight pin, the string gets lined up with the left side of my sight pin guard. This method maintains my lefts and rights. Right before I shoot, I make a mental note to check my string with the sight pin guard (lefts & rights) and release. I've been doing this for over 35 years and can consistantly shoot 4" groups at 50 yards.

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't care what anyone says... If you're not using a peep sight you're probably not shooting to the best of your potential.

I use a peep. It's one extra thing to help make sure you are aligned better. Some use a kisser button w & w/out a peep, all accomplish the same thing for you. If your anchor point changes even slightly you would not notice it without either a peep, kisser button or both....that is until you let the shot go.

Ricer2231

I have tried to shoot without a peep and I just don't like it. I don't feel like I can get truly locked in on my target and my groups are not nearly as tight. I really believe if ya want to shoot to your best ability a peep can't do anything but help ya. Just my .02.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Ted nugent used to pat himself on the back all the time for not using a peep or even sites for that matter. a few years ago I noticed he is using both now. Must have figured out they actually work.

I use a peep by the way.