Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My dog ...

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This really is nothing about nothing, but today, I am a happy camper. As you can see, I own a Weimaraner. If you happen to talk to him & he tells you that HE owns me, pay no attention. He's three years old & also very friendly. ( I"ll get back to the friendly part in a bit ) He's the perfect house dog, other than the shedding. He's never chewed up anything, other than his own toys, he doesn't make a mess, other than the occasional vomit bubbles from Lord knows what. He's a comfy lap dog & loves to cuddle. We have to block off the bedroom because the King in king size went to his head. If he's not in your lap or laying next to me, he's up in his crate. He's also pretty much a quiet dog. He isn't much of a watch dog, but my wife's Yorkie excels in that department. So, I don't think you can get a much better dog. ( I'm only saying that because I'm in a good mood right now)

Ok, let's step outside.

Earlier this winter, I had him neutered. I felt bad, but some of the other dogs I've had were neutered TOO, including my GSP. Funny how that dog never gained anymore weight afterwards. Anyway, being outdoors, dogs like to follow their noses from time to time. My Weim has one of those 24 hr noses. I don't mind that too much, but I'm sure my neighbors do. Just the same, they don't mind if their own dogs follow their noses. When my GSP was alive, I have a remote training collar that has beeper locator attached. I hate to say shock collar. You don't shock the dog to train, but just the same, he learned to come running when that beeper went off. It was loud, so I always knew where he was. It was a nice sound. A series of loud beeps & soon the sound of toenails running across someone else's driveway. So all was well. With my Weim, he never caught on to what all that beeping was about. Soon, the beeps turned into shocks & afterwards the shocks turned into my yelling & screaming .... & finally throwing things in anger when he wouldn't come home. I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed the show. This past year, I dropped the remote for the 100th time & the antenna broke. After ten years, you'd think you could find a replacement, but not so. So, out came the long lead to keep a grasp on things .... kinda. I still want the dog to run in the yard, but there are times he will still get away from me even on his lead. When he gets away, it's like he's a totally different dog. He won't come near me. He has to go visiting the neighbors dogs & he has a routine about it. He won't come back until he's ready & wore out. Part of that is my fault, since I originally let him do it, but he's become worse about it. ... the not returning bit. Remember him being neutered ? He's gained at least twenty pounds so far. He's turning into a horse. My wife just hates to take him out on the leash.

So yesterday, I installed a invisible fence. I ordered a week ago or so & then added heavier gauge wire that is weather resistant so this will last. My neighbors across the street had a nationally known invisible fence company come in & installed a short perimeter line to keep their dog from jumping thru their screened in patio even though their yard is fenced & cost them a whopping $500. I did a whole acre on my own & spent less. Today the training started. I was apprehensive, but wow, this works. You have to condition the dog to this of course, so it'll take a while. Summer time will be the real test when all the evening walkers invade. By then, the burn marks on his neck will have healed ... or at least scarred over & he'll be the perfect outdoors dog ( yeah right ). The new problem now will be not knowing where he's crapping....lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good stuff Kevin. You can only do some much with training collars with some dogs. My lab took well (at least IMO) to being shocked following a beep and now, I can stop him on a dime with the beep. And when all else fails, I just smack my hands and yell and here he comes.

Hope the fence works out for you and the dog!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The Beast is tamed ! This is pretty darn amazing. It's not like he'd take off on me all the time, but he knows his boundaries now. In just a few short days that I've been able to mess with him, I can now go inside & not worry. I've even enlisted one of my neighbors & his dogs ( the non barking ones ) to try & entice him to stray over & he won't. It's like he's a totally different dog. I never would have imagined it could be done this quickly.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dogs (most) are smarter than we give them credit for. Glad he's paying attention! Sounds like you're the one who's shocked!!! lmao

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep, those fences are awesome! Keeps my beagle on the yard and my one dog doesn't even have to wear a collar anymore. She respects the boundary without any negative feedback.

Everyone in awhile I'll find out that Jurassic Park is down and Molly will wander off. That's when I know it's time for a battery change. Lol