Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

More evidence that people want guns.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Many of you know I'm active with a 4-H shooting sports club. The club was started 12-13 years ago, most years our membership runs 25-30. Last year it was 32, just finished with enrollment and this year it is 53! Haven't heard numbers for other clubs in the county, years ago a club split off of ours, and it split again so there are at least 3 4-H shooting clubs in the county.

To be honest I think 53 is too many, not sure we have the resources to properly handle that many kids. But how do you turn kids away? Anyways it's a sign people want their kids to be properly trained in the safe use of firearms.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good for you and your club Sam! That is wonderful. Glad to hear it!

Here is another bit of evidence. I copied and pasted from a financial newsletter I receive. This came into my email box yesterday. Keep in mind, this is just ONE gun manufacturer!

Please Enable Images To See This Who says Obama isn't good for business?

Gun-maker Sturm Ruger & Co. just posted its highest annual profit since at least 1987. People are flocking to buy guns, anticipating stifling new regulations. The company's net income increased to $70.6 million in 2012, up from $40 million in 2011. Revenue increased 50% to $491.8 million last year.

The stock is up 14% this year.

In efforts to avoid side tracking Sam's thread, I will share my experiences. Both of my biological children have started shooting in the last year. My wife decided she wants to shoot more frequently. Since installing my range, I have seen in increase in shooters. My banker has gotten into shooting. He has introduced his 11yr old daughter to shooting as well. I met with him and another banker for lunch one day. We introduced that banker to shooting. He had never shot a gun before. There is a definite curiosity and draw to the shooting sports! I think it is a great thing!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Good to hear Sam. I just wish Washington would take note...

Absolutely don't take this as a shot at you because what you do here is a big public service to the hunting/shooting community but there ain't no "Washington county" or any other county that does this, it's people.

In my case I was already a 4-H adviser and was deer hunting with a friend. I told the friend who had zero 4H experience that 4H was offering shooting sports projects but I couldn't go to the required training because the distance and time of year. Friend says "I'll go" so I talk to a few more friends who also agreed to go. Those guys in turn approached some the sportsmen's clubs and got use of an indoor range and a trap range. Then they approached organizations like Safari Club, NRA, DU, Whitetails Unlimited, ODNR and got funding.

It all started with a conversation while deer hunting...

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I didn't mean Washington County. We have a strong shooting sports presence in our 4H here. I meant Washington DC. I wish they'd take notice at the sheer number of Americans, especially young Americans that love to shoot. Those are their future constituents...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I didn't mean Washington County. We have a strong shooting sports presence in our 4H here. I meant Washington DC. I wish they'd take notice at the sheer number of Americans, especially young Americans that love to shoot. Those are their future constituents...

Sorry misunderstood. I think the other Washington knows people like their guns and it scares the Hell out of them. :smiley_clap:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm seeing a LOT of women at the range. There were women in my CCW class. A gal at work has started shooting with her husband and now we can't shut her up about it. And I always like it when I see kids at the range with their parents being taught.

I find myself starting to be irritated when listening to people talking who don't know anything about guns throwing around terms "50 cal blah blah Glock blah blah 9mm blah blah". There is a HUGE knowledge vacuum in the general non-shooting public that is beginning to irritate me to no end.

I've said it before I'll say it again - I wish that gun basics and safety familiarization were taught as part of the PE curriculum in schools.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I find myself starting to be irritated when listening to people talking who don't know anything about guns throwing around terms "50 cal blah blah Glock blah blah 9mm blah blah". There is a HUGE knowledge vacuum in the general non-shooting public that is beginning to irritate me to no end..

LOL I don't mind too much when it's average Joes but when it's the guys behind the counter it drives me crazy.

Huckleberry Finn

It's probably because your club has the .22 ammo! Their dads tell 'em to fill their pockets before they come home!

Keep up the good work!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good to hear Sam on your 4-H. Our gunclub 4-H has over 100 kids each year. I can't help out because of no control over some of the kids. At times it's a mad house.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Frank, I'm worried about handling 50 kids, I don't see 100 as a manageable number. We're set to handle 25-30 well. With that number I feel we can really teach the kids something.

Most of these kids want to be in our trap program. The club we shoot at has 2 trap fields, so we can have 10 kids shoot at a time. It's going to be hard getting 2 rounds of trap in in a night.