Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who used to be an Audiophile (bass head)?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Going through the pics trying to find my first cars and JD mentioning having a system in his truck got me to wondering who was into it? I had many systems and ended up being sponsored by Soundstream and Pioneer (Premier line). Going to dig for some pics.

Won USAC Nationals with this car. It also appeared in Car Audio and Electronics. Trying to find my copy but we haven't found it yet. Here are some pics I found that weren't water damaged:

My first solo install:

My Blazer:

Guy I showed withs S-10 (also featured in CA&E)

More to come...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
This guy had 24 - 12's in his van. Don't know why but it just never did well. He did the circuit and was invited to Kansas City with us.

Dick move of the year. Someone was pissed because the owner of this van had successfully picked up the dudes chick at the bar...pulled all the RCA's and connectors.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I can add more if you guys would want to see them. These were just the first I found that didn't get ruined. Who else was into it?

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
This should be interesting... Seemed to be a big thing back in the 90's but I hardly ever hear a good system these days.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Always wanted to be but never had the money to do so. Best I ever had was 4 Alpine 6x9 in a box I built. Cheapy amp which I can't remember the brand name. Seems like it was a Kenwood deck but not high end. Seems like it was cassette deck at the time. GNR Use your Illusion I and II sounded badazz in that thing! It was never the best one in the school parking lot, but it was what my budget allowed and what I could fit in the car.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Beener! You were da man with the thumpers!!!! Very impressive systems! Heck yeah, post some more please!

I had a couple woofers and an amp but nothing like this stuff. Had my woofers stolen out of my truck the first year I moved to the Cincy area and never replaced them.

Very cool thread though and yes, when the audio craze hit it hit like a sumbeech!!! Lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The guy from Cleveland (also a part of Team Ohio) had a sweet Impala I will post later. He had over $125K into his car. It was the best looking car I have seen in person.

I didn't have that kind of money into any of my stuff. Luckilly most of mine was at cost or free. My amps were $3500 by themselves. All those 90's companies that used to kick ass are now made overseas and junk. Soundstreams used to be $1K for a higher end amp and now they are a couple hundred at best.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I had a buddy's system in my 84 Mustang. His car got Repo'd and he needed somewhere to keep it. I wasnt much of a bass guy. I remember there was a couple 12's in a box and a bunch of the smaller speakers in my doors and up front. He had 2 amps in it. I believe both were PPI amps? In that hatchback it sounded good when I blared the GnR and Alice In Chains or Garth Brooks. Pissed him off so bad

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have considered upgrading the speakers in my current truck. You won't see anything like this, but i do feel replacing 7yr old factory speakers which crack when turned up will certainly improve the sound quality. Duh, right? lol

I have no clue where to start anymore. Suggestions? Alpine 6x9 still good?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I always wanted to but never had the time or money to invest in it. I helped my buddy install his system and modify it a few times. I only upgraded the 4x9s that were in my Cavalier wagon. My buddy had an 82 or so Monte Carlo in great condition and I helped rewire it, and we installed I think it was 2, 12s in the trunk, whatever was pretty much the biggest we could get an appropriate box for in his trunk.

It was fun but you rarely hear that stuff anymore (probably better for my ears :) )

I am more into good quality sound rather than just bass now, probably why I enjoy bose so much even though I still am too cheap to buy much of it.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I had a 79 CJ7 with a box that took the back seat up with 2 12"subs. It definitely got peoples attention and not usually in a good way either. That was by far my favorite ride.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was in to it for a while and installed a few different systems in my rides. The best one I had was in my Jeep. I have 2 Kicker 10's in a 4" ported box with a 1000W Bazooka amp. I only had $600 in the system, but it was basically installed in a speaker box on wheels and POUNDED. I put about $1K in the system that I had in my Cavalier, but it didn't even compete with the way my Jeep sounded. But I did build a sweet custom ported camo box for the 2 Pioneer 12's I had in there. Don't think I have any pictures of either set ups unfortunately. Buddy of mine in HS had 2 15's in the back of a Camero he and his dad built from the frame up. Watched him shattered the back glass in the school parking lot one day!

When I was in HS, everyone had systems and like you all said, you never hear them any more...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I had two 12" kicker comp VR's in my 95 accord. Kenwood 600x2 (I think) pushed them pretty well but nothing to brag about. I did manage to crack the weld on my trunk latch though!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Can you still hear? About 10 yrs ago a guy would go down our road and rattle my window gratings and I live 700 ft off the road. It lasted couple years then no more. He must have moved away to bother some other unlucky souls. Just a constant thump-thump-thump.
Frank

Buckmaster

Portage
I ran HiPhonics back in the day. I had two 12's and a 15" in the back of my Daytona. I could never keep review view mirrors hung. Cassette tapes would actually gain some air laying on the rooftop. I have some pictures somewhere but I don't have a scanner. When I'm 60 I'll probably need hearing aids. Young and dumb. I wish I had the $$ now that I dumped into electronics.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I have two 10's in the trunk of my Impala. It hits, but nothing insane. You will absolutely feel it at a light sitting next to me, but I typically turn it way down at most every light. I came in 2nd last year at our Nationals for 500W and under. I'm looking to upgrade before this years nationals to a better amp and more permanent box placement. What I enjoy most is nothing rattles, it only thumps.

Attachments

• 417206_10152046224815083_558412733_n.jpg
    417206_10152046224815083_558412733_n.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 400480_10152046227030083_279542603_n.jpg
    400480_10152046227030083_279542603_n.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 50

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I had 2 15" Kickers and a ratty california amp running them. Worked good in the Turismo hatchback until some asshat stole them. After that I just never got back into the systems but still love the bass.

We had a guy that was here in town that had a full size extended cab Chevy truck and called it THUMPER complete with a decal of the Disney Thumper on his truck. Dude had a helluva system in that truck and owns/owned an audio shop in Mansfield (not sure if he still ownes it now or not but during that time he started that place). You could hear him poundin the bass way before you ever seen that lifted big truck rollin down the block lol. There was another guy that had a yellow ford probe that popped his front windshield out with his system. He had the windshield replaced with plexiglass and when his bass hit you could see the windshield bow and almost pop out of the rubber strip lol.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I had 2 15" Kickers and a ratty california amp running them. Worked good in the Turismo hatchback until some asshat stole them. After that I just never got back into the systems but still love the bass.

We had a guy that was here in town that had a full size extended cab Chevy truck and called it THUMPER complete with a decal of the Disney Thumper on his truck. Dude had a helluva system in that truck and owns/owned an audio shop in Mansfield (not sure if he still ownes it now or not but during that time he started that place). You could hear him poundin the bass way before you ever seen that lifted big truck rollin down the block lol. There was another guy that had a yellow ford probe that popped his front windshield out with his system. He had the windshield replaced with plexiglass and when his bass hit you could see the windshield bow and almost pop out of the rubber strip lol.

I had two hatch repairs done. It was a constant tightening of screws/panels. No use in trying to keep a rear view... I will post more pics soon.