Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Survey

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'm not sure who is running this poll. I know last year in an interview Tonk was asked about PCRs. His reply was vague, didn't sound like he opposed them but wasn't pushing the issue either. I remember he said something about polling but that the ODNR didn't have the $$ to do it. I wonder how much it would have cost to add a question or 2 about it to the online deer hunter's survey?

Really though the OFBF isn't pushing for it so it probably won't happen.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I voted yes, in agreement with Huck and Joe's statements above.

I'm not sure who is running this poll. I know last year in an interview Tonk was asked about PCRs. His reply was vague, didn't sound like he opposed them but wasn't pushing the issue either. I remember he said something about polling but that the ODNR didn't have the $$ to do it. I wonder how much it would have cost to add a question or 2 about it to the online deer hunter's survey?

Really though the OFBF isn't pushing for it so it probably won't happen.

I believe Survey Monkey is a free service so nobody's really "sponsoring" anything here.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I voted "No Opinion" as I'm not educated enough on the issue to give a damn. If you all agree with it, then I suppose I'm fine with it. At the same time, I feel there are plenty of ways to kill deer as is, why are we pushing this issue? Overall, I could care less one way or another...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
There are plenty of ways too kill deer, this just adds another tool too accomplish the harvest ..... a lot wont participate some will and I'll probably be amongst those that will.... adding this weapon too the mix is about the same as having the variety of broadheads on the market..... all will kill a deer just one is better than the other too the hunter using it....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There are plenty of ways too kill deer, this just adds another tool too accomplish the harvest ..... a lot wont participate some will and I'll probably be amongst those that will.... adding this weapon too the mix is about the same as having the variety of broadheads on the market..... all will kill a deer just one is better than the other too the hunter using it....

It's not only the weapon that will lead to higher kills, you have to account for the increase in participation also. That is the single most impacting factor. A broadhead model, while preference, isn't going to lead to increased participation or people picking up hunting. But something like allowing crossbows does.. In reality, both a vertical bow and a crossbow are the same as far as range etc. However crossbows account for a ever growing percentage of hunters and kills. Without them the hunting population and thus kills would dramatically decrease.. This is because they're appealing and don't require the fuss a vertical bow does. Range, plug, cartridge etc all limit appeal. A single shot only rule is less appealing than allowing three rounds. Levers are more appealing than single shots. And a 454 is more appealing than 45 long colt... The trick is crafting all of those things so that the appeal isn't so much that you have everyone flooding the woods killing a crap load of deer. But not so little that it's worthless..

It's not so much the weapon itself, as it is the appeal. We could legalize Civil war cannons and It wouldn't change a thing.. lol

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Are there many people that don't deer hunt in Ohio because of the weapon choices we are limited too? Of those that don't will the option of a .44 mag or a .460 S&W change their minds?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not sure I agree with that comparison J, but I hear what you are saying. Like I said, I really don't care one way or another as long as it doesn't cause a dramatic impact to the negative in the deer herd. Which I doubt it will...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Are there many people that don't deer hunt in Ohio because of the weapon choices we are limited too? Of those that don't will the option of a .44 mag or a .460 S&W change their minds?

I would say so.. Legalize High power deer rifles and see how many come out of the woodwork. Legalize 22lr and see how many laugh and don't bother. lol

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Define "high-power" rifles? In target shooting "high-power" usually refers to centerfire rifles, especially service rifles. In deer hunting referring to a .44 mag rifle as "high-powered" is silly. In that context I would view it the same as using the words "assault rifle" to describe ARs. Inaccurate terms designed to evoke an emotional response.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Define "high-power" rifles? In target shooting "high-power" usually refers to centerfire rifles, especially service rifles. In deer hunting referring to a .44 mag rifle as "high-powered" is silly. In that context I would view it the same as using the words "assault rifle" to describe ARs. Inaccurate terms designed to evoke an emotional response.

I grew up deer hunting in MS.. High power to me means just that. from 243 to 300 win mag.. Participation appeal, thus increased opportunity, will impact the kill numbers, not the weapon. The point is the appeal factor is what needs to be considered, not the weapon. The appeal is what will drive participation and thus increased kills. A three round lever action in PC will be far more appealing than a single shot only rule. 45lc only, is less appealing than 454. etc..