Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deal: Armor plating targets...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Guess you don't need FB. AR500 rifle target for $40 delivered. Nothing like a satisfying gong after a well executed shot.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Do they "splater" back ?
Whats the closest you would stand and shoot a heavy CCW?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I shoot them within 5 yards with a pistol but have them at an angle. This funnels any bullets to the ground. We drill them (need a drilling lube to do so) and hang them from chains. We use old swing sets to hang them. I am about due to set my "range" back up now that the ground is thawed.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We bought some for small calibers for the kids next spring. I was a bit curious about ricochet as well.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have been shooting steel targets for 25 yrs and no problems. But we never shot closer than 25 yrds.
With that said I have only shot lead bullets only and no jacketed bullets.
The swinging plate just causes the splatter to go down and sideways.
When setting up a non-swinging steel plate put the top edge slightly forward and the splatter once again will go down and sideways. Do not angle the top backwards as this will cause the bullets to richochet upwards.
I would suspect with armour plate using jacketed bullets with a exposed tip you would get the same results as lead bullets. Now with full metal jacket bullets I will leave that to the experts.
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I will have to check ours but I believe they are the swinging plate style.

Sorry to hi-jack. I like the idea, just a bit nervous on small calibers let alone large calibers.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
We hang ours from chains and then attach a loop to the bottom/back of the target. Then we use either rope or chain to bring the bottom/back so it sits like this (/). Not quite as drastic as that but it puts it at an angle.

For rifle shooting we just let it hang.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
No problem Fred. I lost you at Cabelas looking for George and trying to get back who I came with. Didn't see you again. Wanted to pick your brain about that store, "Buckeye Supply" is what I think you called it.