Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

She Kicks Like a Mule

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
For those of you who don't know what a "Red Leg" is...its the term used in the Army for "Artillerymen".

Put aside your girly-man .458 Win Mag or your wimpy .50 cal and watch guys shoot a real gun, the largest center fire rifle ever made, the .950 JDJ by SSK Industries (Ohio).

Only three were ever made. This was the lightest, the carbine version, weighing in at 50 lbs.

It shoots a .95 caliber 2,400 grain bullet at 2,100 fps using 240 grains of powder, which generates 25,400 f/lbs of muzzle energy and 277 f/lbs of recoil energy.

Each round costs $40.

Click here: http://www.staged.com/video?v=q0eb

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have seen that video before, its a good one...

Though I have to admit at some point why go larger besides "just b/c I can".

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Smallbore rifles like that are interesting but sometimes you need a real rifle. :smiley_crocodile:

[video=youtube;HMEXxW-Se5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMEXxW-Se5w&list=UUyR4UCE9A83SK1hk2GT-Jqg&index=50[/video]

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Sometimes you need 2 shots.
[video=youtube;m_abiLBHTXc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_abiLBHTXc&list=UUyR4UCE9A83SK1hk2GT-Jqg&index=11[/video]

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brock has seen me throw a dozen at a deer. lmao.

I have never been one afraid to run through ammo myself, and I can truly appreciate the effort Joe puts into filling the air with lead. If he actually took the time to point the barrel at the deer that excited him into shooting, there would be a lot more work to be done. :) I think it's his way of practicing conservation... He actually fires fewer rounds on opening day of dove season.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

I was meaning Joe Biden after the "sometimes you need 2 shots" comment....though if you also like to throw lead in the air that works. I will admit that if necessary I can reload my 1100 fast enough that I've been asked if I have a plug in my gun during deer season.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was meaning Joe Biden after the "sometimes you need 2 shots" comment....though if you also like to throw lead in the air that works. I will admit that if necessary I can reload my 1100 fast enough that I've been asked if I have a plug in my gun during deer season.

Three seasons ago in Fayette county about 10 of us tried to drive deer from daylight until dark without a single one spotted. On the last drive as we approached a small wood lot and I saw three in there. We were still 100 yards from the woods and she was about 50 yards inside. It was the first deer we had seen that day and she wasn't getting away. That when I learned 12 ga sabots don't like even the slightest brush. After 12 shots or so with her moving 10 yards back and forth and stopping not knowing where to run we walked closer. Brock shot her through the front two legs and I finished her off. An ammo count revealed I had fired 12 shots at her from both the standing and kneeling supported positions. I checked the scope the next day and she was still spot on. 3 inches high at 100.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Lets see.....
It was about 3 years ago we were driving through some scrub stuff and then there is about 80 yards of pasture heading into the next woods. I hear the guy to my right shoot and shoot again and then I see a buck stumbling across the pasture, definitely hit. I let loose with a round or two. Then it gets to the electric fence and keeps falling over and getting back up, attempting to jump and falling down again. He and I shot I think 18 times total with 14+ hits all in the neck and chest area until the thing fell over dead. I shot I think 5 times and he had the rest, he was shooting the brenneke slugs and that was one expensive deer. The best was one of the other guys hunting with us is a east cleveland area cop. He called up the other guy who was shooting and asked if it was all over or if he was just still at work. LOL

Then there was the time almost 10 years ago when I was walking in to sit for my dad and a buddy to drive a small rectangular shaped woods during muzzleloading. I bounced two does up as I walked in and pulled up and shot at them. They bounced up and over the hill, so I (with my gun now empty) took off running around the woods. I got around to the other side and stopped and started reloading. I had no more than put a cap on and here came two does bouncing through the woods. I pulled up and being fairly out of breath missed when I shot. The deer turned around and took off back over the hill towards where they had been and where I had bounced them first. My dad and his buddy were sitting in the truck watching me as I fired the first shot. The watched me run out of sight and around the corner of the woods. They get out of the truck and are loading up when they heard a shot. My dad looked at his buddy and said "there's no way he got around there and reloaded that fast..." Next thing they knew they almost got run over by two does running flat out away from the woods.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Many years ago I shot 3 times at a buck with a muzzleloader, missed clean every time. Turned to be much farther away then I estimated.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Three seasons ago in Fayette county about 10 of us tried to drive deer from daylight until dark without a single one spotted. On the last drive as we approached a small wood lot and I saw three in there. We were still 100 yards from the woods and she was about 50 yards inside. It was the first deer we had seen that day and she wasn't getting away. That when I learned 12 ga sabots don't like even the slightest brush. After 12 shots or so with her moving 10 yards back and forth and stopping not knowing where to run we walked closer. Brock shot her through the front two legs and I finished her off. An ammo count revealed I had fired 12 shots at her from both the standing and kneeling supported positions. I checked the scope the next day and she was still spot on. 3 inches high at 100.

That was in formerly deer-rich northern Highland Co, Joe... a 6 deer county. Fayette has far fewer. :) BTW, there were two deer killed on that farm this season. In 2000, there were 14 killed on opening day. Things have changed a bit over the years.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I don't carry that many rounds. I usually have a box of 5 stowed away but not easily accessible. Only reason I carry them is in case I have to empty for a coyote or two. lmao