Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need input - Spotting scope recommendations

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I foresee a lot more range time for myself this year, and have decided that my crappy tasco binoculars don't get the job done, so it's time to seriously think about getting a spotting scope. The club range where I shoot has a 200 yard target area - the range at the homeplace down south is 120 yards long.

I realistically don't see myself going out west or doing any 500 yd shooting. I just see myself range shooting and maybe using it for some scouting.
What size/magnification/features should I look for in a scope?
Are scopes less than $200 junk?
What brands are good/bad?
What features or uses am I not considering that maybe I should think about? I'm a spotting scope virgin.

I don't want to spend $400 if a $200 scope will get the job done. I don't want to buy an inexpensive scope then regret it and wish I'd gotten a better one.

Here's one that looks appealing - a Bushnell
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...cope&i=614114&str=spotting+scope&merchID=4005

Any input would be appreciated

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It takes a pretty good scope to see bullet holes at 200 yards. You will see better with a good 20x then a cheap 40x.

I'll do some looking and get back to you.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Just talked to Carl at Champion - very helpful discussing options - placed my order for this lil' puppy
http://www.championshooters.com/ind...t_id=741&virtuemart_category_id=22&Itemid=111

Methinks it will be just the ticket

PS - thanks Sam
Now I can look like one of the cool guys at the range :smiley_coolpeace:
(just don't look too close at my targets rotflmao )

In all seriousness, I can see great value in having a decent scope. I'm gonna be trying some new powder and bullets for my muzzy - I'm gonna be playing with my 91/30's - and I'm gonna be taking the scope off and putting new rear sight on my 30-30..... and I can see this tool being a big time-saver and just making things easier.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I think that will serve your needs well. Carl is very knowledgeable, can be a little bit of a curmudgeon but if you get past that he's a good resource.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I think that will serve your needs well. Carl is very knowledgeable, can be a little bit of a curmudgeon but if you get past that he's a good resource.

A lot of those in the gun world. Many have been fighting the good fight for too long.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I just explained to him pretty much exactly what I stated in my first post, how I'd be using it and why, and he gave me some tips on how to make the holes on a black target more visible:
1) Cut out the area behind the black on a target board so it will let light thru. He said if you just staple a target up to a piece of cardboard or something, it closes back up and doesn't let any light from behind come thru.
2) If you can, put a white background behind your target area to reflect light back thru the paper. Makes sense.

He told me that the 65mm lens would be great for seeing smallbore stuff at 50-100 yards and will also be able to see ok at 200 yds.

But yeah, I can see that if some noob were calling up to waste his time with stupid questions, he could probably be real short with them.