Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mineral Sites Freshened Up!!

Earlier this month we were able to get down to the farm there in Ohio to do some quick mineral site updates. I had plans to use Monster RAXX on all of the sites but I screwed up and we ran out of time to buy any before we headed down. So for this trip we went back to an old tried and true cheap method, Tractor Supply bulk minerals for two of the sites. The third site would have Monster RAXX, a bag I had won off of their FaceBook page.

Big Stump/Waterfall Site
This site we have had going for several years now we often refer to the big stump or the waterfall site, as there is a good size gorge below the site where a small waterfall exists. This site was originally started with Trophy Rocks, then Jesse's bag/bulk mineral salt/Di-Cal mix and the last year or so a mineral/meal mix we found at TSC that contains a lot of the same ingredients as the mix. That's what we used again this time around. This site is so dished out that we don't even worry about mixing the soil in with the mineral any more.

Old Pond/Old Saw Site
Last year we started a mineral site that we called the old pond, it was literally right next to an old pond that often dried up during the summer. The site was very productive with deer coming in but the weeds always grew so fast there the trail cam pics were a lot of false triggers and barely seen deer. So we decided to move it about 30 yards further into the woods, towards an old saw mill site. Here we used a big old log as our base to pour the mineral/meal over. Ideally I would have liked to turn the soil over since it is a new site, but someone forgot the shovel!

Big Holla Site
This site is all new this year. It is in the big valley on the property we call the Big Holla. Here we decided to use the Monster RAXX mineral. I also planned to use the Monster RAXX Apple Harvest spray attractant that came with the bag of mineral, buuuuut I let it freeze that day and I couldn't get it to budge out of the bottle!! This site has me most excited as it is right in the middle of the property, next to our sanctuary. I have heard so many great things about Monster RAXX over the last couple of years that I just cannot wait to see the results. This also will be a great comparison with the other sites as it is in the middle of the property between the other two.

We have cameras at each of the sites so we are chomping at the bit to get back down there to see what has been hanging around and what has survived.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking good, Chuck. I really like that first spot at the base of the stump. What's the product you're buying at TSC called? Have you tested it alongside Jesse's mix to see which the deer prefer? I'm just curious as to what made you switch...

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Looks good, are you putting cameras out to watch the sites?

I'm with you Gordo, looking forward to trying the minerals this year.

Looking good, Chuck. I really like that first spot at the base of the stump. What's the product you're buying at TSC called? Have you tested it alongside Jesse's mix to see which the deer prefer? I'm just curious as to what made you switch...

Pretty sure it's called their Range Mineral. It seems to have a lot of what we were putting into the mix and deer seem to eat it up pretty good. I know side by side this stuff next to a bag of the regular mineral salt used in the mix, deer will eat this stuff hands down faster than the mineral salt. I wasn't able to compare it to the mix though. One of the reasons we tried this was because Di-Cal was hard to find up here in Michigan without going to an elevator and this has it already in it.

Looks good, are you putting cameras out to watch the sites?

I'm with you Gordo, looking forward to trying the minerals this year.

Yep, cam's at all of them so hopefully we will see what's hanging around.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I was out walking the other day and saw that the deer were digging in my lic sites. I'm going to have to get them freshend up soon.
For thoes of you who havent tried mineral lics, You will love the draw they have. Great place to put a camera and see whats around your area. I put my cameras up in june, I love to see the antler growth. Good luck.