Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How smart are turkeys?

hunna771

It may seem like an idiotic question, but really, how smart are turkeys? I mean they're obviously smarter than me, beings I can't get one to get hit by a cedar arrow... But I've been told a lot of different things. I know they have good eye sight and they're sense of smell is poor, but what about other stuff like memory? I was reading the turkey calls thread and picked up on a few things. I've been told to use different calls because the turkeys will remember the sound of a specific call and will learn that it's not real or know somethin's up. I kinda find that hard to believe. But hey, what do I know? I've only hunted turkeys for 1 1/2 seasons... What do you think?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Turkeys are stupid, I mean really stupid, I doubt they have much memory. BUT they have amazing eyesite, decent hearing and are scared of anything that isn't "normal".

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
They're not very smart. The thing about different calls isn't so much about them getting used to certain calss as much as finding that certain tone and sound they want to respond to. Don't mistake survival instinct for brains. I mean c'mon, their brains are the size of a pea, how smart can they be?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know Dante. I keep telling myself the same thing about our President and congress.

Then again, all this talk of turkeys being dumb is making me feel more dumb. Hunna, you aren't the only one being outsmarted by them. Good topic. I am learning as I read this!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not smart at all. Turkeys only have about 3 times on their mind in the spring. Staying alive, food, and sex. And probaly not in that order. Now during the fall it's just staying alive and food.
Luck plays alot in taking one. If the Tom roasts with the hens and flys down with the hens it's tough pulling the Tom off the hens. Unless they fly your way.
Deer hunting in tree stands or a hunting tower I find turkeys almost never look up and don't seemed overly alert to sounds or movement from above. I suppose there's not many things from above that eats them. I will do some spring turkey hunting from above this year. And differantly this fall since we get Fall turkey hunting down here in SW Ohio. Maybe my 1st bow kill as I could have taken 30 shots last fall but then I would have hit one of course.
Turkeys like deer are fright animals and run when something isn't right. But then they stop and it just seems like they are thinking what was that and go about their business. But a limiting factor of 40 yrds or so for a hunter hurts. It seems like they know we can only shoot 40 yrds or so ant just stay out there.
I guess what I am saying is being in the right place within 40-50 yds. and the Tom has sex on it's mind it's rather easy. But alot like deer hunting if there isn't a deer where you are you at that moment won't take one.
Frank

hunna771

Well hopefully this season will be good for me. 3rd season actually. My dad (Swantucky) had never turkey hunted before. He went out for less than an hour and shot a nice gobbler last season,with no experience, yet I can't shoot one after watching hours and hours of youtube videos on turkey hunting. Talk about a punch to the gut. LOL.

I don't know abot U tube videos but if you can get out pre season and listen to birds, even do some pre season calling it helps. also if you can figure out where they are headed from the roost pre season you can get between them and where they are headed. I really like firing up the hens in the pre season they can really teach you what turkeys sound like. All the cutting and cackling!

they really are stupid, they are just afraid of everything