Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My son just got a little more conservative.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Last January after finishing school my son got hired by one of the big computer chip makers. His hiring bonus was 150 shares of stock which he would receive at the end of his first year. Well after taxes his 150 shares is now 93 shares. :tantrum:

All 3 are conservative but he is probably my most conservative kid, this just moved him even farther to the right. lmao

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Every time I see a bonus check (which is not a given because it's based on my efforts + results + good timing = bonus) I share your son's sentiments. Damn near 50% of a bonus check is taken away due to the higher rate in which they're taxed. :smiley_boxing:

It's fuggin' ridiculous if you really think about it... a bonus is a reward for achieving results above and beyond what is budgeted, forecasted, or expected.

So you've worked hard, gained excellent results, and then you give nearly half of it away to the government. :BS2:

What's the lesson learned? The harder your work, the more they take away. :smiley_badmood:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Every time I see a bonus check (which is not a given because it's based on my efforts + results + good timing = bonus) I share your son's sentiments. Damn near 50% of a bonus check is taken away due to the higher rate in which they're taxed. :smiley_boxing:

It's fuggin' ridiculous if you really think about it... a bonus is a reward for achieving results above and beyond what is budgeted, forecasted, or expected.

So you've worked hard, gained excellent results, and then you give nearly half of it away to the government. :BS2:

What's the lesson learned? The harder your work, the more they take away. :smiley_badmood:

X2
pisses me off tremendously

Lundy

Your bonus check is not technically taxed at a higher rate than any other pay you receive. It just feels that way because you are looking at a small segment of a big picture.

At year end you will end up paying the exact same rate on all of your earned income.

I enjoy asking young people, that obviously voted for Obama, if they pay their fair share in taxes. Most become annoyed that they don't know how to answer that question. Many answer "yes", others immediately go to the corporate greed story and never answer either way. I have never had even one say "no". Of the ones that answer "yes" I ask them how they have determined what they pay to be "fair". Most become very uncomfortable trying to come up with some kind of answer, a few have said, "because the government says so":)

I hate April 15th every year!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Your bonus check is not technically taxed at a higher rate than any other pay you receive. It just feels that way because you are looking at a small segment of a big picture.

At year end you will end up paying the exact same rate on all of your earned income.

I hate April 15th every year!

Yep. You are not alone. I hate every quarter, but April 15th is the worst. Not only do you have to settle up for any discrepencies on the year end, but you have to come up with the first quarter estimates as well. Then there are the weekly/monthly taxes which are so courteous to fill in the gaps between the quarterlies.

Lundy

Is now a bad time to say that I'm going to get a decent tax return and pay down some loans because of it?

No, not if the government is returning YOUR money that you over paid during the year.

If they are are giving you my money to subsidize you we can talk:)