Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

On the fence

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
OK, here's the situation. I have two options tomorrow morning for our hunt.

Option A: At our usual property. The spot is located at the base of two rolling spoils in the middle of the woods. It is in between bedding areas. I had one of my best mornings ever in the woods in this very spot last season. The spot is on a bench below a spoil and above a deep hollow. I've only hunted it once this year saving it for the rut.

Option B: A field edge of a pasture field (no cows on this side). It borders a field with high weeds and an old christmas tree farm where the deer love to bed. The grass is nice and green and is great in the evenings. I've never tried it in the morning. My buddy hunted the opposite side of the field this morning and had deer feeding in the field until 11:00 am. The last two evening he spotted a giant 8 moving between his spot and mine but was unable to get a shot. I was not in my spot so I have no idea how close he got. Also, the spot is at the corner of a wood lot that connects one "finger" to the next.

Do I hunt the woods or the field? Do you think the bucks are cruising the field edges right now? I don't normally hunt fields so I have no clue. I have always regarded them as evening spots.
I know it's tough to tell without seeing the spots, but I'm just curious what strategy you use this time of year if you are hunting fields.

rrr

Nothing wrong with trying something new.

And anything is better than the couch!

rrr

Well, how did the new spot go? Those pictures you posted this morning looked like a blind hunt over a pasture...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, it was. It wasn't my first choice but we saw deer. They were 200 yards away, but we saw some. Lol
It's the type of setup where the deer can come out from anywhere.
We basically went there for a change of scenery. Saw a spike, 6 point, three doe. Saw a real nice 8 on the way in standing above the blind. I bet he was 135 at least. Defenitely shooter.
Next weekend we're going to the spot in the spoils. It's more of a funnel.

rrr

Hey seeing deer is better than not seeing deer! Maybe that will be a good spot come gun or muzzleloader...

Can't wait to see your son harvest one! Or you put down a doe