Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sample Leases and Lease Language

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am drafting a hunting lease right now and have it all but ironed out. However I'd be interested in seeing some example of leases you all have entered in to, or hearing some advice on things you wished you would have had in the agreement. Our offer is a little of $15 per acre with a 10% increased if we can sign a 5 year guaranteed lease. Does that seem fair to most?

Kaiser878

ohio
I wouldnt sign any lease papers without having full control of the property....Within reason....

i.e.
1.no other hunters, PERIOD!!! that means no family members of the owner of the property, no friends...etc Only people you give permission.
2. No "play" activites on land, like four wheeler riding

Basicly, unless hes farming it or has something to attend to, your in charge of the land and what goes on there..Now obviously you are not allwoed to log the property or anything crazy...but as long as you restore it back to the way it was, you have free reign....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Two people in a 65 acre lease. It will give me full "agency" over the land. Basically, nothing goes on outside of what the owner does without my approval.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This is the parcel I call Hippie Ridge and will give me 145 acres to control best I can. Hopefully I can add the 20 acres next to us as well next year.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I am not sure about prices there but it sounds like a good deal from what I hear in other parts of the midwest. I have never had anything in writing on our lease just a handshake and luckily it has worked out so far.

qdmman

In addition to what kaiser said no major timber cuts within lease agreement. I knew some guys who leased and owner same yesr stripped the land.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It had already been timbered, but it was all for not. It went on the market today. Without some luck, I'll be losing the property that has been the key to my best hunting the past few seasons.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
It had already been timbered, but it was all for not. It went on the market today. Without some luck, I'll be losing the property that has been the key to my best hunting the past few seasons.

Hope you get it! Good luck, but isn't it sad how hunting has become so competitive and commercialized!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How much does land sell for an acre down there?

Before the prospect of getting Jed Clampett rich, raw land was in the $1,500-2,500 range depending on school districts. However this place has nothing to offer in the timber department and it would take big money to build a road to the best building site. It's really not worth more than $1-1,200 an acre other than 2-3 acres of it.

Now that everyone thinks their land is sitting on a gold mind of black gold, prices are astronomical.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
We purchased ours for a astronomical price of 600 an acre by my calculations..:D