Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Monsanto's patents in the Supreme Court

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
(Page 1 of 2)
WASHINGTON (DTN) -- U.S. Supreme Court justices seemed skeptical Tuesday of a farmer's attorney who argued his client isn't violating a Monsanto patent by buying soybeans from a grain elevator to plant with the expectation that those soybeans would carry the Roundup Ready trait.

Indiana farmer Vernon Bowman (far right) and his attorney talk to reporters following Tuesday's Supreme Court hearing over a case of Bowman buying and replanting Roundup Ready soybeans. (DTN photo by Chris Clayton)
Vernon Bowman, a 75-year-old farmer from Indiana, bought soybeans from a local grain elevator as a cheaper way to get a double-crop planting following winter wheat. He did so counting on the prospect that a high percentage of the seeds would be Roundup Ready.

Monsanto Co. sued Bowman in 2007 for patent infringement. Monsanto won at both the district court level and on appeal. The initial ruling against Bowman was for $84,456.

The Supreme Court opted to hear the case because of its unique nature as the first patent case involving a self-replicating technology -- in this case, soybeans. Chief Justice John Roberts asked early in the proceedings if anyone could duplicate a seed then, "Why in the world would anybody spend money to improve a seed?"

Bowman's attorney argued that Monsanto's patent rights were "exhausted" after the first crop is grown from those patented seeds. Progeny, as with those beans purchased from an elevator, should not be covered under such a patent, he said. The exhaustion doctrine, a common principle under patent law, says a patent holder's exclusive rights to a product are exhausted after an authorized sale and use of the product. Bowman's attorney, Mark Walters, said Monsanto doesn't have the right to carry forward its patent in second- or third-generation seeds after the first licensed seeds have been sold and planted.

"Under Monsanto's theory, there really is no limit to the exhaustion doctrine," Walters said.

Justice Stephen Breyer told Walters a farmer or anyone can do a broad array of things with soybeans they have grown. They can make livestock feed or "make tofu turkey," Breyer said. But one law says a person can't throw soybeans at someone. That's assault.

"Another law says you cannot make copies of a patented invention and that's the law you violated" by reproducing the soybeans with the patented trait, Breyer said.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor noted the exhaustion doctrine "never permits you to make another item."

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg also reiterated that the court had never applied patent law to allow someone to create a copy of an original.

Walters acknowledged that Bowman sprayed the soybeans with glyphosate to effectively select for the Roundup Ready trait, but added, "We disagree that the activity of basic farming is replicating the invention."

Bowman began buying soybeans from a local elevator and planting them on at least part of his farm as far back as 1999. Bowman understood the likelihood that soybeans he was buying would be resistant to glyphosate. He then began saving some of his harvested seed and replanting it.

Bowman wasn't exclusively buying seeds from the grain elevator to plant. Typically, he was still buying licensed seed from Pioneer for his main soybean crop. He bought the soybeans from the elevator mainly for double cropping.

Outside the Supreme Court building, Bowman said for years he had been able to buy commodity grain to plant as a second crop. He often would buy commodity wheat from a local elevator to plant, usually as a cover crop.

Read more
http://www.dtnprogressivefarmer.com...eference=0353b2fa-34a2-481b-912d-1cb46058ad3a

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
So we did some specialty work for Monsanto's new bean. They promised us guys working outside that they were gonna give us some new Carhart coats. They even took our sizes down. After harvest they brought in our new coats. They are real light spring season windbreakers with their Names and insignia all over, plus my name, which I hate. The local guy came out a couple weeks ago and asked me how I liked their new coats we got. I said "honestly, we are pissed. What happened to the carharts?" He replied that alot of the growers wanted coats too so they went with the ones we gotr to hold cost's down. I laughed my ass off right in front of him and asked if they were hurting for money. He's actually a good guy and said he knew we were gonna bust his ass over it. I gave my coat away to the mother in law since it was about 3 inches too short on my arms. I can't bitch too much cuz our company is making a few facilities seasonal and ours gets paid handsomely by monsanto which means job security for awhile

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I read this in our local paper on Monday. I also read headlines where Monsanto is going to try to start producing their "terminator" seed again, which my understanding makes the seed from existing plants unusable again? Correct me if I'm wrong I didn't get a chance to fully read the article...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I read this in our local paper on Monday. I also read headlines where Monsanto is going to try to start producing their "terminator" seed again, which my understanding makes the seed from existing plants unusable again? Correct me if I'm wrong I didn't get a chance to fully read the article...

Here is what big M says about that.

Through modern biotechnology, it may be possible to develop crops that will not produce viable offspring seeds or that will produce viable seeds with specific genes switched-off. Gene Use Restriction Technology (GURT) includes a range of technologies employed at the genetic level, designed to limit the use or spread of specific genetic material in agriculture.

Sterile seed technology is a type of GURT in which seed produced by a crop will not grow. Dubbed “terminator technology” in the popular press, many have expressed concerns that sterile seed technology might pose a threat to the livelihood and way of life of small landholder farmers in developing countries. These farmers have saved seeds to plant the next crop for centuries.

Monsanto has never developed or commercialized a sterile seed product. Sharing many of the concerns of small landholder farmers, Monsanto made a commitment in 1999 not to commercialize sterile seed technology in food crops. We stand firmly by this commitment. We have no plans or research that would violate this commitment in any way.

It’s true that GURTs offer certain benefits. GURTs can be used to limit the use or spread of specific genetic material in agriculture. For example, technology developers can invest in beneficial traits and utilize GURT to ensure specific traits are available only to farmers wanting to pay for and use the traits. GURTs also help with the stewardship of biotech crops by offering a means to ensure that biotech genetic material is present only in intended agricultural settings.

Monsanto sees both the positive and negative aspects of GURT and understands there are some uses which would not involve sterile seeds but which would be beneficial for small landholder farmers. For instance, it may be possible to create varieties where farmers can save and plant seeds, but the offspring seed does not carry the biotech trait.

If Monsanto should decide to move forward in the area of GURTs, we would do so in consultation with experts and stakeholders, including NGOs. Our commitment to protecting smallholder farmers and our promise not to commercialize sterile seed technology will carry forward with these developments, should they occur.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Since 1997, 182,936 Indian farmers have taken their lives and the numbers continue to rise. According to a recent study by the National Crime Records Bureau, 46 Indian farmers kill themselves every day – that is roughly one suicide every 30 minutes – an alarming statistic in a country where agriculture is the economic mainstay.

This is all tied to Monsanto via their BT cotton seed. They are committing mass economic genocide in India...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The problems with Indian farmer suicides predates the introduction of GMO crops by at least a decade. It's a cultural problem caused by a rapidly growing population that is being forced to shift from rural to urban. Several severe droughts that have ravaged the small subsistence farmers compounded the problem.

Last year India had record yields but had storage issues and much of it was wasted. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304356604577339402041821044.html