Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mouth Calls

Huckleberry Finn

I'd really like to master mouth calling this year. I've done it before but never have been consistent enough to use it confidently in the woods. Just planning on practicing during my commute.

Any suggestions on types of calls? I picked up an el-cheapo Quaker Boy.

Didn't know if we had any experts in the house...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not a big fan of Quaker Boy or Primos mouth calls. Primos makes a few that are decent I guess, but for the most part I think the el-cheapo diaphrams are junk. I like Zink and Woodhaven diaphrams, and I've heard Legacy diaphrams are the cats pajamas, too... although I haven't tried one yet. I'm due for a few new ones so I'm gonna order a Legacy or two I think.

Pick up a handful of calls, Huck... double reed, triple reed, v-cuts, batwing cuts, etc... try a bunch out until you find one that seems to "fit" you well. I know that experienced callers can run just about any variation of mouth call, but for beginners (myself included) I think it's easier to be proficient when you find a call you don't have to struggle with.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
IMO you should use a double reed until your comfortable with it, the less reeds the easier it is to manipulate and control. When I look for a new mouth call I usually stick to a double reed or a 2.5, reguardless of the manufacture. I purchased 2 Hendershot mouth calls last year and really liked them. If you've ever heard a wild hen in the woods they're not perfect and most times don't sound as good as a seasoned caller, at least to my ears. You just have to be as good a caller as the horniest turkey, that wants to die, likes to hear that day.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I think you should try this one Huck....right up your alley bud!

[video=youtube;mYfDnc42wog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mYfDnc42wog[/video]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO you should use a double reed until your comfortable with it, the less reeds the easier it is to manipulate and control. When I look for a new mouth call I usually stick to a double reed or a 2.5, reguardless of the manufacture. I purchased 2 Hendershot mouth calls last year and really liked them. If you've ever heard a wild hen in the woods they're not perfect and most times don't sound as good as a seasoned caller, at least to my ears. You just have to be as good a caller as the horniest turkey, that wants to die, likes to hear that day.

The Hendershot calls are also on my list. Shane's signature series call was my favorite mouth call that Zink produced. Now that he's doing his own thing, I should really pick up a couple to try out.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I use a Primos double reed but plan to purchase something new this year. I'll be listening to suggestions on that front...

Huck, the vehicle is a great place to practice when you drive as many miles as we do! I love calling ducks with my windows down in the summer while sitting at a red light! lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I use a Primos double reed but plan to purchase something new this year. I'll be listening to suggestions on that front...

Huck, the vehicle is a great place to practice when you drive as many miles as we do! I love calling ducks with my windows down in the summer while sitting at a red light! lmao

If I had a nickle for every strange look I got from nearby drivers and pedestrians... lmao

Mao

Coshocton, OH
The Hendershot calls are also on my list. Shane's signature series call was my favorite mouth call that Zink produced. Now that he's doing his own thing, I should really pick up a couple to try out.

My good buddy and Shane are boys. He uses his calls and loves them. No lie...He called in 11 longbeards last spring with Shane' s calls.

Huckleberry Finn

www.keystonecalls.com They make some really good stuff, and the turkey always light up when they hear the sassy

Are their mouth calls good? I'm hoping to get a powerwedge...Hoyt has one of those and it's the tits....

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I've had luck with slate's before and a Lynch box call, but want to learn the hands free method. But not Gern's!!

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I personally use the cheapo 2 reed calls. I wear them out by the end of the season every year like JB stated. My two favs are the Turkey Thugs Old Boss Hen and best of all the Knight and Hale Old Reliable. Simple calls but the only ones I can use and sound decent.