Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Independence 9mm

Huckleberry Finn

I bought a 50 rnd box of Independence 124 gr 9mm luger this weekend for a good price...I opened the box to see that the backs all say "Blazer 9mm". I have no bones about shooting Blazer for the price I paid - don't get me wrong - I just was wondering if this is

A) Independence ammo

B) Blazer ammo in an Independence ammo box.

Never heard of the company before. The place is pretty hillbilly Western PA (Sam, you've been to Mauer's, right?!). As long as it goes bang, I'll be happy.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I stopped in at Mauer's once a long time ago. BTW if you go down the road there, iiirc it's called the Polk Cutoff, the Sandy Creek Conservancy is down there. It's a really nice sportsmans club.

Back to your question, I'm not familiar with Independence ammo. I goggled it and a quick look really didn't answer any questions.

Huckleberry Finn

I stopped in at Mauer's once a long time ago. BTW if you go down the road there, iiirc it's called the Polk Cutoff, the Sandy Creek Conservancy is down there. It's a really nice sportsmans club.

Back to your question, I'm not familiar with Independence ammo. I goggled it and a quick look really didn't answer any questions.

Yes, the road is called Polk Cutoff, you're correct. Sandy Creek Conservancy is home to a Marcellus well now ;) Good memory Sam!

Here's a picture of the box:

indepence ammo.jpg

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The rough grouse society has a clays shoot scheduled for this weekend at Sandy Creek. There's a local auction I want to go to so I can't go shoot.

Huckleberry Finn

The rough grouse society has a clays shoot scheduled for this weekend at Sandy Creek. There's a local auction I want to go to so I can't go shoot.

Mauer's and the other stores I stopped in this weekend looking for ammo all have so many flyers...coyote hunts, clay shoots, gun auctions, etc. Those PA boys sure don't quit in the off season!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am pretty sure that Independence, Blazer, CCI and Federal all come out of the same company. So in this rather tough ammunition market it wouldn't surprise me too much to see blazer marked brass in that box.

I have run a few hundred rounds of independence ammo through a few of my firearms. I have no issues with the stuff.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not sure but I can tell you that I have had nothing but good luck with Blazer brass. Actually one of my favorites to reload outside of federal and Remington.

Huckleberry Finn

I am pretty sure that Independence, Blazer, CCI and Federal all come out of the same company. So in this rather tough ammunition market it wouldn't surprise me too much to see blazer marked brass in that box.

I have run a few hundred rounds of independence ammo through a few of my firearms. I have no issues with the stuff.

Good to know! Makes sense as they had Blazer (cheapest), this Independence (middle) and Federal (most expensive).

Not sure but I can tell you that I have had nothing but good luck with Blazer brass. Actually one of my favorites to reload outside of federal and Remington.

Don't worry, I plan on saving my brass! Between my dad, brother, and I, we are all saving 9mm to reload someday

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Independence has bounced around and has been made by many companies. Started in Brazil and now made in the USA. Funny there is BB cases though...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Good to know! Makes sense as they had Blazer (cheapest), this Independence (middle) and Federal (most expensive).

Don't worry, I plan on saving my brass! Between my dad, brother, and I, we are all saving 9mm to reload someday

Good plan! All through my teens the thought never crossed my mind to save brass, nowadays I usually spend as much time hunting brass as I do shooting! :)