Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beagle Breeding

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm putting a little feeler out there to see if anyone has any male beagles, or knows anyone that has any, that may be interested in breeding with my female. Right now I have her scheduled to be spayed, but I am really on the fence with this one for a couple reasons.

1. She is showing signs of being a really good rabbit dog. Any downfall is my fault for lack of time in the field, but she is improving everytime we get out.

2. She comes from champion bloodlines and I have all the papers to show it. I have not registered her yet, but plan on it if I decide to breed her. However, the paperwork from the guy I got her from has all the details.

3. She has become a great pet. She is great with my kids and, after a rocky start, has become a great house dog and I know some of you like to keep your beagles indoors.

4. She is a beautiful dog.

So, if anyone may be interested, please let me know ASAP. She is scheduled to go in for spaying in a week and I can always cancel it.

I have never been involved in breeding dogs, but one of my biggest regrets is not breeding my old beagle, Daisy. She was a fabulous dog and I'm sure her pups would've been just as good. So, as a greenhorn in the dog breeding department, I figured I'd see what you all thought.

Buckmaster

Portage
after a rocky start, has become a great house dog and I know some of you like to keep your beagles indoors.

Care to elaborate on this rocky start? Beagles are difficult to house break, males especially, since they like to mark the couch, your lazyboy, the kitchen table, etc.
Because of that the majority of our ownership has mainly been female.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Care to elaborate on this rocky start? Beagles are difficult to house break, males especially, since they like to mark the couch, your lazyboy, the kitchen table, etc.
Because of that the majority of our ownership has mainly been female.

Basically that... she was pissing and shitting everywhere. Typical pup stuff, but she took forever to break and still has the occasional forgetful moment. Lol

Buckmaster

Portage
Basically that... she was pissing and shitting everywhere. Typical pup stuff, but she took forever to break and still has the occasional forgetful moment. Lol

Beagles are somewhat difficult to break of that but eventually they come around. Even adult dogs have an occassional "accident" from time to time. Beagles are also thick headed and somewhat take after the personality of their owner. :smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hmm. . . .explains some of the issues we had when we got Izzy Bea. She was a pound puppy 1-2yrs old. Tough one to break. I finally got nasty and would rub her nose in it and give a good spanking on the bottom. By the third time of doing this she figured it out. I resort to spanking last on dogs and kids.

Wish I was more helpful in your search for answers Mike. Maybe Bluedog will see this and offer suggestions. Isn't she a vet? Maybe shoot her a PM or talk to your vet about it? Got to be some online stuff to read. Xbowgirl breeds dogs as well.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welp, dropped Molly off at the vet today. I was very reluctant to get her fixed, but in the end decided it was best for a couple reasons. At the top of the list was that fact that my kids would've wanted a pup (an I would've too) and we really can't have another in the house.

bluedog

Welp, dropped Molly off at the vet today. I was very reluctant to get her fixed, but in the end decided it was best for a couple reasons. At the top of the list was that fact that my kids would've wanted a pup (an I would've too) and we really can't have another in the house.

Good choice. I could bore you to tears with all the stories of mammary tumors and pyometras.

How is she doing with her post surgery recovery?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You know if you bore a man with stories of mammary anything, it was not the most stimulating topic around! lmao

Glad to hear she is doing well Mike. She should be good and ready for the next rabbit hunt!