Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CCW courses

Gordo

Athens County
It seems like there's a couple of us lined up to take our classes soon to obtain our CCW licenses. Just thought it would b cool to hear everyones experience taking the class.

I'll be taking my class tomorrow and will report back on how it went.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Paid $75 last month and thought that was cheap - a couple of my friends have paid $115 and $130

I really enjoyed my class - I learned alot that I didn't know, even though i've been shooting for years.
Glad I went.

Applied for my license Jan31...still waiting to hear....they said 45 days, but other people have told me they got the call almost immediately.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Paid $75 last month and thought that was cheap - a couple of my friends have paid $115 and $130

I really enjoyed my class - I learned alot that I didn't know, even though i've been shooting for years.
Glad I went.

Applied for my license Jan31...still waiting to hear....they said 45 days, but other people have told me they got the call almost immediately.

Did you have range time with the class?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Mine was $120 and that included a free female attendee. One day class and they had two lawyers and a sheriff run you through the law. Range time happened but definitely was not the focus, which I was fine with.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Did you guys have a shooting proficiency portion to pass or just time on the range?

The class Alphamax and I took had a shooting proficiency portion.

Had to shoot 13 two handed dominate hand and 13 two handed non dominate hand. Then 12 single hand dominate and 12 single hand non dominate. Target was a paper plate at I believe 15'. Could only miss 5 to pass.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Did you guys have a shooting proficiency portion to pass or just time on the range?

The class Alphamax and I took had a shooting proficiency portion.

Had to shoot 13 two handed dominate hand and 13 two handed non dominate hand. Then 12 single hand dominate and 12 single hand non dominate. Target was a paper plate at I believe 15'. Could only miss 5 to pass.

Damn. Non dominant hand? I'll fail for sure.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just renewed as well in the last several months. We had to qualify at the range also, but I do not remember the details. I don't remember the price either. Seems he gave a discount because there were 4 of us. What I recall about the range time? It was not difficult. Does 21' sound right for the distance? It really wasn't terribly far and it was a simple enough "qualification". Shooting offhand seems to ring a bell also.

You can always learn more...no matter what it is that you're into and if you keep that train of thought, you'll be fine. :smiley_bril:

I thought the class was very informational, to all levels of knowledge about firearms handling. After having taken the class, I'm not sure why I waited so long to do so. It was well worth the time and money it took to attain the permit, education and experiences.

Bowhunter57

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My class was (I think) $140ish. It included a continental breakfast, hot lunch, onsite range, and the passport size photo required for the application. The food was nice but not necessary, however the onsite range is a big thing otherwise I know of people who have taken classes where they then have to go pay to go to an indoor range with the instructor later. The passport sized photo also costs a few bucks and takes a few minutes.

The shooting part was not that difficult, minute of pie plate at around 21ish feet. However the instructor did make anyone who brought a smaller than service caliber firearm shoot at least a 9mm also.

The class also had a good bit of mindset training and my wife really enjoyed this part. It opened her eyes to the potential dangers that exist and removed the "rainbows and unicorns" blindfold that so many people have as they walk around today.