Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whitetail Ambush Secrets

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I found this site last night while doing some reading on hinge cut layouts. Very informative for those of you looking to do some habitat improvement this winter/spring. Now is the time to cut entry/exit routes and do your hinge cutting. The guy also has a YouTube Channel. Not a bad resource IMO. Just figured I'd pass it along...

http://whitetailambushsecrets.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhitetailAmbush

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff, man.... Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to take advantage of having monday off work and doing some habitat manipulation.

Some good info over there. That's where I found the article on infrared cameras possibly spooking deer. Only problem is if you really want to get to the good information you have to pay. Don't recall finding the youtube stuff on them tho.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I've just been recently watching these videos on youtube...then I decided to search for hinge cutting here on TOO and this thread popped up...Dan's property (the one they talk about setting up) is somewhat similar to the property I hunt...except his looks to have a lot more, fully grown trees...I am currently working on a plan for next spring for the property I hunt (planning) and will likely adjust it after I see what the deer are currently doing this year...keeping it simple though...

1)improve existing bedding area (add some buck beds)
2)place small and various food plots on opposite side of property
3)place a stand in between (on heavily used trail (runs North & South)
4)place a stand on the north/east side of the "Honey Holes"
5)improve on existng trail that runs North/south (the length of the property

a few of these things I think can get done within the next few weeks here without disturbing most of the deer movement.

If it were you, starting out with a newer property, trying to make the most improvement you could for this upcoming season, what things would you consider doing as quickly as possible to make the best impact before the season gets here?

I was thinking hinge cutting bedding areas and possibly some around the property border to help keep things screened from the drive and roads...I was also thinking about throw & gro for the honey holes even though I haven't treated any of the locations yet.