Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Off Season Plans

at1010

*Supporting Member*
What are your alls off season plans as far as next deer season goes.

I plan to

1. Hinge Cut
2. Shed Hunt
3. Soil Samples
4. Frost seed clover
5. Spray plots with gly
6. Plant eagle beans
7. Once August hits, till half the beans up on each plot and plant brassicas.

Whew! Drink some beer, and shot the bow too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Frost seed clover as well for me.

Shed hunt.

Turkey Hunt.

Try to line up more land to hunt.

Reposition a couple stands.

Hang a couple more buddy stands for the kids and I.

The usual stuff. Nothing exotic. I do look forward to getting the minerals out soon.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Frost seed clover as well for me.

Shed hunt.

Turkey Hunt.

Try to line up more land to hunt.

Reposition a couple stands.

Hang a couple more buddy stands for the kids and I.

The usual stuff. Nothing exotic. I do look forward to getting the minerals out soon.

I need to add all that to my list! Shit! I am screwed I think hahah!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'm going to try to do that bulk mineral lick that I think Jesse or someone posted in the DIY section. I'm also going to buy some fruit trees and bushes and plant them in one of the sections of woods on the farm. I might even convince the Father in law to do a small food plot in one of the brushy sections of the farm they don't farm.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
How many acres of beans are you planting?

total itll probably be 4acres. I am just giving it a try, I am in a low deer density so I am not worrying to much. If the deer wipe it out, I will just plant it with WW, WR, and brassicas.

why do you ask.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I need to add all that to my list! Shit! I am screwed I think hahah!

nah. Half what I listed you already had listed. Hang a couple stands and reposition a couple stands won't take you long. Plus you have until August to get it done. Late July if you are on top of things! lol

Gordo

Athens County
I have a couple new properties i need to spend some time scouting out.

I also want to work the small chunk of land i now call my own. Would love to add some fruit trees That i can enjoy for the rest of my life.

Im also gonna start doing my home work on food plots and try to get in on that game. The plan is to do alot of experimenting on my biggest property with smaller plots. All the equipment is there and i have free reign to it all. Its to good of an opportunity to pass up, and i have shit tons to learn. I'll b probing all your brains regularly'

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well in addition to working 40-50 hours a week, raising an infant, coaching HS baseball, playing adult league baseball, turkey hunting, shed hunting, coyote hunting, leasing and acquiring new property, mowing and maintaining 2.5 acres, staining my decks, painting the soffits, remodeling my garage and all that jazz, I also need to:

Pull all my stands. Take inventory of what I have. Sell what I don't need to fellow TOOzers at our turkey camp. Use that money to buy 20' sections of sticks. Hang 8-12 sets on 3 properties using Millennium brackets and sticks.

This weekend I will be collecting soil samples. Scouting and shed hunting. Hinge cutting. And laying out foot plots. My food plot planting will largely depend on when I can get a tractor in our bottom and how much I can get turned.

I bought a new bow and hope to have it in full working order by the end of March. That means a ton of shooting to get ready for the season. I hope to shoot 1,500+ arrows through it by the end of September.

It will be time for minerals and cameras soon. With 3 mineral sites and 12 cameras, I'll be busy!

I hope to lease the 65 acres I call Hippie Ridge this year. If that happens, I'll dedicate and entire weekend to entry/exit trails and manipulating deer movement.

Starting to sound like a job!!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
why would you till under half of the beans At1010...beans are way better late season food then brassicas

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Crop rotation SHOULD put corn around one of my favorite thickets to hunt, after two years in a row of beans after I took my 2010 buck. If the corn is surrounding this property, my cam will stay here all off season as well as corn and minerals. This will be my primary focus thicket starting Halloween thru November. Steps are already in place so I won't need to move any stands for this setup.

Other than that it will be crappie fishing and morel hunting when I have time.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I love reading all these plans.

@Gordo, I have some good experience with plotting,and I am in Athens man, if you ever wanna meet up I can probably teach ya bit. I try to make it easy, and effective.

Gordo

Athens County
I love reading all these plans.

@Gordo, I have some good experience with plotting,and I am in Athens man, if you ever wanna meet up I can probably teach ya bit. I try to make it easy, and effective.

For sure. We'll definitely get together man. Ive been busy as shit lately, but things should b calming down soon enough, and when they do ill hit u up for a beer

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For sure. We'll definitely get together man. Ive been busy as shit lately, but things should b calming down soon enough, and when they do ill hit u up for a beer

No crossing swords you two! lmao

Seriously, every in the A-town area see if we could do lunch at Leghorns next Friday. First round of beers is on me...

Buckmaster

Portage
Well in addition to working 40-50 hours a week, raising an infant, coaching HS baseball, playing adult league baseball, turkey hunting, shed hunting, coyote hunting, leasing and acquiring new property, mowing and maintaining 2.5 acres, staining my decks, painting the soffits, remodeling my garage, and making a playmate for my daughter. I also need to:

Fixed it for ya. :pickle: