Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Valentine's Day cards, love of your wife, and other random thoughts

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep. Today is the day. So naturally I headed out to snag a card and some flowers for my wife. Reading these cheesy and ridiculous cards made me ponder. I think we need a chauvinistic card section or a redneck card section. Don't get me wrong, my wife still deserves to be made to feel special. She deserves a nice card. But. . . .sometimes you would like to give a card that skips to the chase and says what you really want.

Honey,

I read through all the cards
I couldn't find the one that suited
Hope you enjoy the obligatory flowers
Now when can I expect the sex?

Happy Valentine's Day

My Love,

I am no good with words.
These cards do not portray who I am.
I cut firewood.
I am not afraid of doing dishes or laundry.
I never saw my Dad lift a finger on these duties.
Hasn't kept me from helping out.
Doesn't this show you I love you?
Well, just in case it doesn't,
Hope this card is enough!

I love you,

My Dearest,

You never complain about the toilet seat being left up.
You work hard and so do I.
You always seem to know when I need a break from the kids.
I try to notice when you get your hair cut.
Sorry I don't shave more often.
Wish you shaved your legs more often too though.
I am thankful you don't complain about me never shoveling the drive.
I still love you even though you let the dogs on the couch.
I look forward to many more years of avoiding your Mother.

Happy Valentine's Day!

To my wonderful Wife:

I fueled up your vehicle.
I washed it.
I cleaned out the inside.
I changed the oil.
I paid for it.
I wax it.
You opened the car door into a pole and left yellow paint and a dent in the side.
I didn't yell at you.
This must be love.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Okay, so maybe these are goofy, not funny, or insensitive. Just saying, most of the cards I read this morning were unrealistic. I haven't felt the need to put on a fake front for my wife in a long time. Is this normal? Maybe this isn't a funny V Day card thread? Maybe this is a guy wondering: Is it normal to just plain NOT want to give your wife some cheesy crap? Do you reach a point in your marriage where "your love" is simply not defined by a card which really doesn't represent You?

Now don't get me wrong. I surprised Erin with a dozen roses. She lit up. I gave her a card. She liked it. What really surprised her was when I walked around the corner with an orchid. She has had one in the window for several years and it finally died. My noticing this AND replacing it probably won her heart more than the roses she will throw in the trash in a week or so. Recognizing when the kids have her pulling out her hair and stepping in to give her a break shows true love. Getting on my hands and knees and scrubbing the hairspray overspray off the bathroom floor. . . is true love. Remembering to pull her bras or sweater out when changing the loads in the laundry (thus avoiding shrinking them) IS love. Listening to her Mother babbling about 25 disconnected thoughts at a family gathering when her and her 6 siblings are ignoring their mother's babble. . .is love. Just saying, I don't get how any ONE day should make a difference. Love of a spouse is shown many ways outside of a cheesy stinking card on Valentine's Day. Yet, every year we go out and do it all over again. I dunno. Just my V Day ramble.

I am certain I am not alone here. I love my wife. I just don't get the hoopla. I think we are just wired differently.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We haven't celebrated Valentines Day for years. My wife's birthday is the 1st and I usually go all out for that. Seems a bit redundant to do it again two weeks later. I'm lucky in that she agrees with this philosophy. We typically exchange cards and have a nice night on the town enjoying each others company. I love we very much and strive to show that all year, I don't need Hallmark to encourage me to do that.

Some funny stuff in there Phil. Might need to send a blanket for the dog house with a few of them! lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love we very much and strive to show that all year, I don't need Hallmark to encourage me to do that.

Some funny stuff in there Phil. Might need to send a blanket for the dog house with a few of them! lmao

I think that is key though Jesse. On the flipside, I am sure there are guys that are douche bags to their wives all year then think one day of pampering will make their significant other forget about the other 364 days. Showing the love all year in different ways has GOT to count for something doesn't it? lol

And you are correct, some of it would get a guy in trouble. I was trying to be a bit extreme. For example, she never opened her door into a yellow pole. Well, she only did it once. lmao

I do listen to her mother ramble. I do try to help around the house. It is a seasonal thing though. Obviously, right now things are slower. I am home with a sick kid while she is out running errands. Granted, a sick child is more about being a responsible parent than it is "showing your wife you love her". Just saying, the whole "one special day" thing is a bit extreme.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
We don't celebrate any holidays for us; just for the kids.

I know we are no fun, but by the year's end, I've saved enough to buy myself a new hunting toy. And who knows what the wife buy's at Kohl's online. New boxes show up all the time.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hate V day. I just do. Always have, always will. Maybe it's the fact that it's during the dead of winter when things are either snowy or muddy & pretty much depressing. I dunno. I take pride that I can give my wife the 1st card I pick up to read. If it's looks good half way thru, there's no need to continue reading to know it's the right card for her. She gets flowers sent to her at work which she always enjoys. She expects to be taken out to dinner when she arrives home, she can't be happy with chinese take out on this day, unless I twist her arm. So I'll probably fall for it again tonight & then have to wait among the crowds for a table somewhere. She'll want to go to the Olive Garden which she knows I hate as well. She always order the same thing, while I bitch about my order, whatever it is, that I can't pronounce. On the bright side of things, she lets me go anywhere & do anything I want without any complaints, but gawd I hate this day.

Gordo

Athens County
I'm breakin out all the bells and whistles.... Kind of been slackin lately with all the other shit going on.

Roses and card this morning, dinner later. For 'suprise' desert im making 'chocolate covered strawberries' since thats pretty sentimental to our relationship. Its like ive grown a vagina

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Per my wife's request, we won't be doing cards and gifts this year. Only thing she wanted was a family day of ordering in food and watching movies and relaxing! No complaints here!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oudoorsfella- I cracked up reading some of this. Good stuff. That is love right there. We find it silly. We still do it. They know we did something outside our comfort zone. They are happy. I admit, some years I do go all out. Other years it is a card and flowers. Some years I am in a plow truck and realize V Day was 2 days prior. Oops.

gordo- I don't see that is "growing a vagina". If you spent the day at the spa with her, I would think you were growing one. Can anyone picture Gordo with cucumber slices over his eyes while he is getting a mud bath? :smiley_crocodile:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My wife and I don't really do cards b/c its like you said, its hard to find ones that actually have the sentiment we feel for one another, and its just more crap to try to keep a hold of. My wife dislikes flowers on days like today b/c its stereotypical, she'd rather be surprised and she hates the fact they die later.

We're going on a date night this weekend just the two of us before the new kid shows up so we can remember how much fun we can have together before life goes crazy.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My wife and I wish eachother happy v day but dont buy anything. We still text "I love You" to eachother randomly thrughout the day every day. We avoid the busy restaurants and usually have a good homecooked meal of her choice. Tonight it is fried Porkchops, fresh green beans seasoned in garlic, olive oil and parmesan cheese, and some homemade biscuits. Then hopefully some mommy and daddy time after the boy goes to sleep:pickle:

Derek j

Knox Co.
I always get her a card and flowers. This year I got her a really nice hutch and buffet for the dining room, along with flowers and card. We only get to spoil each other a few times a year, this day being one of them. I took her and the kids out for dinner Tuesday night, and that was our valentines day dinner together. Means more when we can take the kids out anyways.

Buckmaster

Portage
This thread got me all sappy now. Thanks guys. As a result I texted the wife which I seldom do, "Happy v day, Luv u". That is way out of character for me but today I have made the exception.

Now what's for dinner honey, can you get me a beer and deliver it to my favorite chair while I watch the news?

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Like any other man, I hate Valentines day. The only thing I hate more than it is Sweeties day. Luckily, I've found a woman who hates it more than I do. We do nothing for it. She was pissed and bitching that it fell on a Thursday and my Birthday is on Saturday and we're going to have to deal with the "idiot douchebags out celebrating Valentines day on Saturday night" lol.

It was so nice to not get a gold covered rose, from which ordering and getting took a pain in the ass, only to have her look at it and say WTF is this.