Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chestnuts

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just read an article in the latest issue of Bowhunter magazine about how chestnut trees are making a comeback and how deer prefer chestnuts over any acorn.
It said the trees were abundant from Maine to Florida and throughout the Ohio valley. They were wiped out by a fungus called "chestnut blight".

I found it interesting that deer will hammer them. I don't think I've ever seen a chestnut in the wild.

Anyone have any chestnut trees where you hunt?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360805780.363575.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have read a lot on guys planting them on QDM forums, Ill try to find some links man, kind of cool and I think they produce earlier then an oak tree will.

Dunstan chesnut might be one, not positive. that is off the top of my head.

Sticknstring

My parents have a chestnut tree in their yard and the deer stand right next to the dog run while eating the nuts.It don't seem to bother them much with the dog. Morning, noon, and night they are there eating them up.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, the Dunstan is mentioned in the article.

Any idea where to pick some up? I don't think I've ever seen one at Lowes. I'll have to check my next Guerney's magazine.

Milo, did you get them from a tree farm or inherit them on the property?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Yeah, the Dunstan is mentioned in the article.

Any idea where to pick some up? I don't think I've ever seen one at Lowes. I'll have to check my next Guerney's magazine.

Milo, did you get them from a tree farm or inherit them on the property?

I do know where to get them locally here and it is severely limited in location unfortunately. I may be able to get you a couple if you really want some. They are about 4 to 5 foot tall

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Cotty, Check mossy oak nurseries. I hear a lot of guys talk about those. I think you get them they are really small but they grow fast from what I hear.

Ricer2231

Mom and dad have one in their backyard and theirs is the same way, deer eat the heck out of the chestnuts. The nuts are pretty good to eat too. The only bad part about having them in the yard is the burrs suck! I remember as a kid getting in burr fights with my brothers. It only took one good hit and usually that was enough to end the burr fight and begin the fist fight. Ahhhhh the good ole days.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mom and dad have one in their backyard and theirs is the same way, deer eat the heck out of the chestnuts. The nuts are pretty good to eat too. The only bad part about having them in the yard is the burrs suck! I remember as a kid getting in burr fights with my brothers. It only took one good hit and usually that was enough to end the burr fight and begin the fist fight. Ahhhhh the good ole days.

Ha ha! I wondered about those. Bet they'd suck to step on in bare feet too.

Last edited:

Ricer2231

Ha ha! I wondered about those. Net they'd suck to step on in bare feet too.

Yes they do, and I speak from experience. Little tiny stickers that the only way mom could get them out of our feet was to put a piece of bacon fat on our foot at night and it would draw every last little sticker out.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Yes they do, and I speak from experience. Little tiny stickers that the only way mom could get them out of our feet was to put a piece of bacon fat on our foot at night and it would draw every last little sticker out.
Man they do hurt...i spread them out to keep the next door neighbor kid from coming over.she was a pain in the arse..

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have a few Chinese chestnut trees, never noticed the deer eating them. They aren't near the woods but usually there is corn on one side or the other for cover. I always figured the prickly hulls bothered the deer.