Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any harmonica players out there?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm looking to get started playing the harmonica and have found a book for instruction that seems to be the best place to start. I may also purchase a Hohner Special 20 to learn on. I am not very musically inclined, so this could be quite the experience. But I love the harmonica and would have the opportunity to play with some of the people I know that get together and play music if I could learn.

Any pointers or suggestions on where to start with learning and equipment?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This one is TOO easy. I am going to pass. Just know, you are opening yourself up to all kinds of ridicule. lmao

at1010

*Supporting Member*
My grandpa played my whole life, I tried several times to play with him I just didnt have it. Hope you can play it well man!

Buckmaster

Portage
I had one while I was a kid. Always wanted to try to play one as an adult but never have. I bought a guitar 2 years ago for pick'n and grin'n.
A banjo was always on my to-do list as well.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've always wanted to learn an instrument, but being musical challenged, I've been pretty apprehensive to do so. I figure a harp was good because they are cheap, relatively simple, and I can practice while driving. My biggest obstacle will be the breathing part as I still get my ass whipped by short reed goose calls and I bet some of the same principles apply...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Another plus on the harmonica is it is one of those instruments that is fun to sit around a campfire and listen to while sipping on a cold one!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Another plus on the harmonica is it is one of those instruments that is fun to sit around a campfire and listen to while sipping on a cold one!

And that is in large part why I want to learn it. I really only want to learn a handful of bluegrass tunes and maybe a couple rock songs. It would just be fun to be able to contribute to the ambiance in those situations...

Gordo

Athens County
You'll want one in each key eventually. That part is 'key' when playing along with other folks.

If all else fails, just pick u up a pair of 'spoons'....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Please explain. I'm not picking up what you're putting down Philbert.

I think he was referring to the ability to suck and blow on a harmonica might overlap into the abilities of playing the skin flute.

Either way I hope you have fun on the journey of learning the never ending world of music.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Old guy at church plays all the time. Gets old real quick. We was in line at Wendy's one day and wouldn't you know...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think harmonicas are pretty damn cool. I don't know anything about playing one... But best of luck to you man.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Always loved the French harp as Andy Griffith calls it. I remember hearing Clint Black and Heidi of Trick Pony getting down with it in past concerts.

I'm with Ben on the banjo learning and wouldn't mind knowing the harmonica either. Good luck with learning Jesse.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
When I think of Harmonica I automatically think of Tom Petty.....

[video=youtube;9TlBTPITo1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TlBTPITo1I[/video]