Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What stick you shootin'?

Ricer2231

I am shooting Gold Tip Hunter XTs in 5575 and I really like them. They are a super tough arrow. Lately i have been throwing the idea around about getting some new arrows and just wanted to see what arrows you all are shooting and why ya like 'em.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I am shooting Gold Tip Hunter XTs in 5575 and I really like them. They are a super tough arrow. Lately i have been throwing the idea around about getting some new arrows and just wanted to see what arrows you all are shooting and why ya like 'em.

Same for me... Got no issues with em. Thought about changing but I'm good!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hunted with Easton Flatline 340's for a couple seasons and they're a great arrow... lightweight and extremely durable. Last season I wanted to go heavy, so I switched to Easton ST Excel 300's for my hunting arrows. With a 150 grain Stinger on the front, these will blow through just about anything. I will probably continue to shoot the Flatlines for 3D, though.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Currently HT-2's for hunting. .300 spine with 150 grains up front for a total arrow weight of 440. Just ordered my 3D arrows from Milo...HT-3's.

If I were to be buying new right now it would be Muddy Bloodsport (HT's under a new name) or Black Eagle Arrows. They are only tied/second to A/C/C's for spine consistency (dependa on which test you use).

Hard to go wrong with Gold Tip (good value and I REALLY like their Velocity Pros for hunting), Easton (generally heavier than I like but they are quality), or Carbon Express (great shafts but are they expensive).

Golden age of bows and arrows. Pick ones that fit the type of arrow you want and then narrow it down by price/quality.

I prefer heavy spined, light shafts so I can have a fast setup with good FOC.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Beener, do you know of any more HT-2's out there available or are they pretty much gone? If yes, what's the going rate for those. I'd expect that they'd be a little cheaper since being discontinued.. no?

Ricer2231

Currently HT-2's for hunting. .300 spine with 150 grains up front for a total arrow weight of 440. Just ordered my 3D arrows from Milo...HT-3's.

If I were to be buying new right now it would be Muddy Bloodsport (HT's under a new name) or Black Eagle Arrows. They are only tied/second to A/C/C's for spine consistency (dependa on which test you use).

Hard to go wrong with Gold Tip (good value and I REALLY like their Velocity Pros for hunting), Easton (generally heavier than I like but they are quality), or Carbon Express (great shafts but are they expensive).

Golden age of bows and arrows. Pick ones that fit the type of arrow you want and then narrow it down by price/quality.

I prefer heavy spined, light shafts so I can have a fast setup with good FOC.

Alot of good info. Thanks Beener.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I shot Easton Axis ST 340's for a long time before making the switch to the 340 Flatlines a couple years ago. IMO, Easton arrows are the toughest arrows on the market. With a new bow purchase, I may be switching arrows this year and will be considering the Easton FMJs or Bloodsport HT-2s...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Beener, do you know of any more HT-2's out there available or are they pretty much gone? If yes, what's the going rate for those. I'd expect that they'd be a little cheaper since being discontinued.. no?

Skeeter Creek can get the new version of HT-2's through Muddy or his distributor. They have the HT-3's and 4's on sale. I just ordered some HT-3's. The last of the closeout HT-2's I believe are gone.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I shot Easton Axis ST 340's for a long time before making the switch to the 340 Flatlines a couple years ago. IMO, Easton arrows are the toughest arrows on the market. With a new bow purchase, I may be switching arrows this year and will be considering the Easton FMJs or Bloodsport HT-2s...

I have had good luck with the HT-2's. Never had one break without extreme abuse. I have 23 HT-2's now so it will be a while before I need more hunting arrows.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I shot Flatline 400's for years and every deer I shot resulted in a broken arrow. I love the speed you get out of them, but for me they just were not durable enough. This year for deer season I shot Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's. I was very pleased with the durability of them and how they shot. I currently am expiramenting with Carbon Express Blue Streak Selects. I want to try these both for 3D and hunting this spring. I think they may be a great all around arrow for 3D and hunting. I hate switching back and fourth between the two.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shot Flatline 400's for years and every deer I shot resulted in a broken arrow. I love the speed you get out of them, but for me they just were not durable enough. This year for deer season I shot Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's. I was very pleased with the durability of them and how they shot. I currently am expiramenting with Carbon Express Blue Streak Selects. I want to try these both for 3D and hunting this spring. I think they may be a great all around arrow for 3D and hunting. I hate switching back and fourth between the two.

See, I've seen the exact opposite with the Flatlines. BUT, there may be some durability variation between the 340s and the 400s. I've always shot the 340s. I've put them through tree limbs and stumps and other things at 3D shoots. The TOO group can verify this from a shoot a couple years ago at the Cardinal Center. As it turns out, your arrow does indeed arc pretty high on a 40 yd shot. lmao Anyway, I haven't shot too many deer with them... 3 or 4 I think... But I only had one break and that was because it buried in the opposite shoulder. I think that the Flatlines have an excellent "toughness to weight" ratio.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
See, I've seen the exact opposite with the Flatlines. BUT, there may be some durability variation between the 340s and the 400s. I've always shot the 340s. I've put them through tree limbs and stumps and other things at 3D shoots. The TOO group can verify this from a shoot a couple years ago at the Cardinal Center. As it turns out, your arrow does indeed arc pretty high on a 40 yd shot. lmao Anyway, I haven't shot too many deer with them... 3 or 4 I think... But I only had one break and that was because it buried in the opposite shoulder. I think that the Flatlines have an excellent "toughness to weight" ratio.

I think there must be a big difference between the 340s and 400s. You have to give something up to get that quickness.