Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Budget handgun

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well guys I'm looking to make acquire my first hand gun. I've really been wanting one for a while, and with my tax return coming in soon I'd love to put some of it towards a hand gun. I've been looking into revolvers a little bit, but I like semi autos TOO. You guys have any tips on what make, model, etc would be good for a budget hand gun. I'd like to spend no more than $350.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
What do you want to do with it? Self defense? Home defense? Conceal Carry? Hunt?
What caliber?
Semi auto or Revolver?

The first question and the third questions will help answer the second question which will lead us to close to an answer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you are looking into revolvers AND it is for conceal carry, I would highly recommend the S&W Airweight. Probably be tough to find one in this price range though. 6-12mo ago you might have. Right now everything is high.

I often carry an Airweight. Simple. Pull it out and squeeze the trigger.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'd like to get one just to have really. Mainly for home defense though. That's about the only reason I would need one. If and when i getting ccl I'd like to have a semi auto. I

Gordo

Athens County
I'll second the air weight.

But with that said ive been lookin into hand cannons with a higher capacity.

I still love the simplicity of a revolver and always will.

Derek j

Knox Co.
If your looking for home protection semi-auto, I would go for a used Ruger. I just picked up a Ruger SR40 in your price range. With the higher pricing of guns and ammo, now is a bad time for anyone looking to buy. I bought a new LC9 lasermax for CC, and the SR40 for the house. I will probably be getting a Sig or XDM later this year.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Buy less lotion for a month and save another $49 instead...

The Springfield XD Essentials package runs $399. Great pistol for an awesome price.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you are looking for home defense, you will have more options. Then again, prior planning right now might save an unnecessary second purchase down the road.

Best advice I can think of right now: Handle and shoot as many as you can prior to spending any money. Buy one with both home protection AND carry needs in mind. You can always add another down the road, but life happens and sometimes we cannot afford another down the road. Bottom line, don't get in a terrible hurry. Think hard on it and buy once. If it means saving another $50-100, then so be it.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
FWIW (I know I'm gonna get flamed) when I was in your spot I bought a HiPoint 9mm ($149) just to get a new gun cheap so I could start practicing/playing while I saved and searched and looked for what I really wanted long term.

Functional, dependable, and 100% lifetime backing by the manufacturer here in Ohio, I think it's the best "entry" gun a guy can get - and then when you finally DO make a decision on a more upscale pistol, you've still got a good little gun to do with as you wish.

BTW - 3 years later and I'm still looking, trying to decide. :smiley_coolpeace: But because I've got my little HiPoint I haven't been in a hurry. Now that I'm waiting for my CCW license to arrive in the mail the search is a little more urgent.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
FWIW (I know I'm gonna get flamed) when I was in your spot I bought a HiPoint 9mm ($149) just to get a new gun cheap so I could start practicing/playing while I saved and searched and looked for what I really wanted long term.

Functional, dependable, and 100% lifetime backing by the manufacturer here in Ohio, I think it's the best "entry" gun a guy can get - and then when you finally DO make a decision on a more upscale pistol, you've still got a good little gun to do with as you wish.

BTW - 3 years later and I'm still looking, trying to decide. :smiley_coolpeace: But because I've got my little HiPoint I haven't been in a hurry. Now that I'm waiting for my CCW license to arrive in the mail the search is a little more urgent.

CCW in the mail? huh?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I wanted to go into more detail about my previous answer.

At $350 you have some options but not nearly as many GOOD options as if you go up $50 or more, once you are above the $400 mark then the options spread out quite a bit.

You said home defense. Well a shotgun with buckshot is a better home defense tool than a pistol (especially as you frequent this board and are probably skilled in the use of a shotgun) especially in unexperienced and/or untrained hands. Just my $0.02

You mentioned Semi-auto for concealed carry. That's a good way to go, you generally obtain larger capacity (more bullets) over a revolver with semi-autos and the other main advantage semi-autos have is when they malfunction its generally not one that makes the firearm inoperable. A revolver is simpler in the fact that if it doesn't go off, squeeze trigger again, no need to tap, rack and all that stuff. However when a revolver malfunctions it generally means its gonna need a gunsmith before going bang again.

In the price range of $350 you are looking at the brands of Taurus, Stoeger, etc for new guns. Those brands while reputable, are also known to produce some lemons from time to time and from what I have read the customer service can be hit or miss. The best customer service is the one you don't have to use, and the second best is the one that fixes it when you do have to use it. So because it would be your only handgun I am less likely to suggest you purchase one of these brands where a quality control issue may pop up. That being said, my father has a few taurus snub nose revolvers that work great and I have no problems with them.

In the price range of $350 in the used market you can potentially (with some legwork) find a good deal on a Sig Pro 2022, a law enforcement trade in (glock, xd, m&p) but that'll be hard to find, or a used ruger. These are all manufacturers with a good track record of making solid reliable firearms that will last quite a while with some good care. The downside is that in the used market most of the time you get no warranty, which may or may not be a problem to you.

Caliber, you said you have not owned a handgun before so I'm also going to assume you have not shot one much. Due to this I would recommend the 9mm cartridge. It is an effective handgun round for self defense (as handgun rounds go) and its fairly cheap to shoot. Prior to all the current craziness regarding ammo and guns if you watched sales you could get 50 rounds of 9mm for around $10, 50 rounds of .40SW was $15-18 and 50 rounds of .45 was $18-20ish. This means you can shoot more for the same price and become more proficient with your firearm. We all hunt so we know that shot placement is the priority, being able to put multiple accurately placed shots on target is even more so when it comes to self defense with a handgun because handguns have minimal stopping power compared to our shotguns and rifles.

All that being said here is my suggestion. Considering today's climate, I would continue to save up money for your pistol. I would save up until I could afford a new pistol from Glock, Sig, Springfield, Ruger, S&W, etc and have some extra for ammunition and magazines (most pistols only come with one or two). Right now most guns are in such high demand that there are not many sales or good sales going on right now. Once the current craziness dies down a few things will happen, people will need to recoup the money they spent on their panic buys which can set up some good deals in the private market and the manufacturers will catch up and sales will come back at gunshops. Also, its a royal PITA to find ammo right now and that which you can find is pricey. The same thing will happen with ammo as I outlined with guns. These statements are also all dependent on no more stupid things occuring from citizens or the politicians.

Also, before you buy do your best to hold, fondle, caress and shoot as many as possible first. What fits my hand and feels good to me may not for you. For example, my wife could not shoot the first home defense pistol we had. I shoot that gun very well and loved it but the trigger pull was too much for her and she pulled each and every shot down and to the left because of it. We found that out when she shot it at our Concealed carry class. Since then she has her own pistol that she shoots very well and its her go to gun if something goes bump in the night.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just bought a Taurus Slim in 9mm and added a mag extension an rubber grip for under $400. I really like it so far. Beener's suggestion is a good one TOO. I'll be at Leghorns in Athens tonight at 6:30 if you want me to bring mine for you to look at.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio

I second this. First pistol I bought was a HiPoint 40cal from the shop there in Athens. I wasn't looking for anything else than something to shoot and use for home defense if needed until I found what I was looking for or save more $.

I still own it, is accurate, has never jammed (i do keep it clean), and can be thrown like a brick if needed :). It's ugly as hell, most don't like them, but it worked for me. My wife actually enjoys shooting it, but she didn't want to think and bought a revolver.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Just remember, a quality firearm gains or at least holds it's value, saturday night specials do not. I would save up until I was able to purchase a quality firearm. Hedg is spot on, a little bump in price adds alot of options. Good luck in your quest!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I say find what you really want. Put your $$$$ down on it and keep paying a little here and there until it's paid for. Get what you want so you'll be happy with it.