Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good night!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hunted my buddy's new property tonight. Didn't have high hopes as we have not hunted this spot yet. Just wasn't sure what to expect. Should produce during the rut, but otherwise, trail cam photos show it to be a doe/fawn area. Well, the rut is kicking in, so I would only know what was there by hunting it. Passed by a nice scrape freshly worked on my way in. Good start! Tried to use my climber on a tree we have the camera hung, but had to move to another tree. The bark was just too thick and wouldn't allow the cable to be pulled up. Just kept hanging up. Dang. Moved to another tree, less desireable, but it would work. Between the squirrels and steady flow of trains and interstate noise, it was tough to hear anything. I caught a tree shaking though and focused hard on it. Finally (lots of brush obstructing my view) I saw a buck working the tree hard. Probably 2-4 minutes. He moved on 30-40 yards and I heard him working another tree, but couldn't see him. He popped out and I could see 6-8" G1's and G2's. Very nice symmetry. Turned to look at me and he was only 12-14" wide. Dang. Catch and release hunting. Looked like he was a main frame 8pt with a couple more points less than an inch. Next year a 10pt for sure. I watched him as much as I could. My mission was to learn how they are using this area. He crossed the creek and I saw a doe cross the creek a little further down. She circled around and peed. He followed her. She made a loop back and he sniffed her pee. Next thing I know he is trailing her and she was gone. I tried some fawn bleats, but couldn't bring them back. I was hoping to keep her in the area in case another buck came in, but just couldn't reel them back in. Saw one more doe in the area which was probably her fawn from this spring or last year's yearling. As I was trying to get out of the stand another buck came in behind me. Baby buck though. Directly down wind. Stopped several times to check the wind. Decided it was okay and moved on through. Thanks Scent Smoker. He passed through close enough I could have spit on him. Stared me down but I didn't move. Always nice to have them downwind, staring at you, and NOT get busted! Good night for sure. Can't wait to get the kids on the bus and head out tomorrow! Packing a lunch and dinner for tomorrow. Sitting til dark!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great report Phil! Sounds like the prop has great poe. Goodluck, if that doe is close, she might pick up a few more potential suitors during the cover of darkness.

hickslawns,
Ya got till the 28th to arrow one and after that it's bullets and balls. Good luck! :smiley_blink:

I've never got one after the deer gun season and don't care to be dressed like the Michelin Man to be out there either. I still have a doe tag to fill and the 28th is the deadline for that too. :smiley_crazy:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
57- I would love to take a doe. Seems I am only seeing bucks. Terrible problem I know. lol Maybe today. Nah. I am horn hunting right now. Does are there to make the big boys dumb. Hope to drop the antlers so i can work on the does the rest of the year.

FWIW- I had hunted this property a couple weeks ago. Other side of the property though. Saw 7 does that night. I have hunted it twice and haven't been skunked yet! Yeah. Other property I have hunted 7 times and only skunked once. Best year ever!

Too bad I haven't had any clear shots (during shooting hours). All shots 20-40yds there has been an obstruction. Just haven't had a clean shot yet. Might need to consider this in the off season for clearing new stand locations.

hickslawns said:
57- I would love to take a doe. Seems I am only seeing bucks. Terrible problem I know. lol
hickslawns,
I'm suffering with you, bro! Had another 6 pt. buck under me this evening.

I haven't seen a skinhead in over 2 weeks. :smiley_armscrossed: It sucks when you have to pass a good shot on a deer...because his antlers are too big. :smiley_crocodile:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
57- My buddy had a shot at a stud just down the road from Todd's. You know where I mean. His new property by the tracks. Hit a limb. I hunted tonight to the NW of my house. Skunked. 2 skunks in 8 sits isn't bad though. The guys hunting to the neighboring property both had shots. One missed a huge buck, and the other got a doe. I will be there in the early morning. Chilled to the bone still after 6.5 hrs on stand in this wind.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, 12 deer by 915am is better than I see in a week's time many weeks. I saw an absolute monster in the field doggin' a doe. I can only call him "Madd Mass". At least 150yds away and I knew he was a shooter. Now if I just could have gotten that pretty little doe to get him to chase her past my stand I would have been thrilled. Only thing chased by my stand were small bucks running from him with their tails tucked. Great Morning! Hope to sneak in with a climber and move a bit closer to where they entered the woods tomorrow morning.