Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The new Deer Regs

If you could pick a set of regs would it be last seasons or the one proposed for next

• 2012-13 regs

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 2013-14 regs

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I'm traveling in time back to 1990

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Screw Ohio I'm going hunting in another state

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
So if you could pick the regs would you pick the regs that were in place in the 2012-13 or the proposed regs for 2013-14? It's a package deal, can't cherry pick what you like out of each.

Schu72

Streetsboro
That's a tough one....mostly because I have no data on participation/harvest of an early antlerless only muzzy season. I don't like the idea, but I'm not sure how big of an impact it will really have and its the primary issue that I have a negative view on. I don't like the elimination of the urban zones either, but that's more of a personal thing. I shot many of my antlerless deer in urban zones over the last few years. With trepidation, I'd go with the 2013-2014.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I didn't vote because there is not a "neither is worth a shit" option... honestly though, thinking of Hardin county only, last years was better. We don't need to be a 4 deer county, we especially don't need 3 of the 4 tags to be either sex, and we absolutely don't need an anterless only Muzzy season in October...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Talked too the Columbiana county warden last night (Scott) he said there's lots of changes and things going on.... All tags will look like the internet tags, and no temp tags once you put the tag on it that's the one that stays..... But you can use a temp tag of any material or size as long as you put the tele check number and date and time and county harvested in.... So if you find some material and it will weather the drag better than the paper one so be it, once the drag is over you can put the permanent one on..... If that makes sense too you

Also the Pittman rule where the taxes on our purchases coming back too the state (HS Bill 25?) where tags are free too seniors over 65 is back on for a vote, down side is the number of tags given out aren't considered sold and those tags that are free won't be in the equation for getting more of that tax money back... If it passes there will be roughly 5-6 million loss in revenue of the next few years and it'll have too be made up out of the general fund from the state.... He's not for or against it but was just putting it out for us too form an opinion....

And I asked him if you could harvest a buck during the early muzzy season if you used your bow..... Nope.... Antlerless only the whole weekend.... Was hoping there was a glitch that hadn't been looked at but too no avail.....

Me personnaly I'd like too go back in time and restart over @ the 1990 era..... Hopefully do it a little smarter this time.....

Oh and all tags will go from a PDF format too the HTML format..... So no perforations anymore....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Like Drake, I can only speak for the main county I hunt in. In Allen county, I do not feel we should be a 4 deer county. At least last season 2 of the tags were early season. Based on the early muzzle loader season I do not like, and the fact people will have access to 3 tags til the end of the season, I vote 2012/2013.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I didn't vote because there is not a "neither is worth a shit" option... honestly though, thinking of Hardin county only, last years was better. We don't need to be a 4 deer county, we especially don't need 3 of the 4 tags to be either sex, and we absolutely don't need an anterless only Muzzy season in October...

Same with about 56 of the other four deer counties as well. I can see for miles in many spots of Highland county (flat farm land) and yet we can still kill four. What boggles me is why the limit is higher in this deerless farm counties then it is in some of the eastern counties with far better habitat. Nothing surprises me with the DOW though, I am sure they will have some backwards explanation for it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Same with about 56 of the other four deer counties as well. I can see for miles in many spots of Highland county (flat farm land) and yet we can still kill four. What boggles me is why the limit is higher in this deerless farm counties then it is in some of the eastern counties with far better habitat. Nothing surprises me with the DOW though, I am sure they will have some backwards explanation for it.

Farm counties. The farm bureau is driving this thing right? They dont care what the herd is like in areas that dont have farms, but in an agricultural area, kill all of them.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I honestly dont think it will make a diff on private land.

I think most guys are going to kill the does they want to take either with a bow or a gun where it is in muzzy season or bonus shotgun.

I think the early muzzy might help public areas, I think to many guys 1 dont have muzzys, 2 I think a lot of guys who are just shotgun hunters will not travel to hunt public areas if they can only shoot a doe.

Just one way I looked at it, anyone agree?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This was tough for me... I almost clicked 1990, but then reluctantly chose last year's regs. I think my only reason is because back in 90, although seeing deer on stand was alot more common than now, I'm not sure the rack quality was as good then as it is now. Maybe I'm wrong. I was an up and comer in 1990 and I just remember going scouting with my dad, or taking my girlfriend (now my wife) to look for deer (and other things... Lol) and seeing a shit ton of deer out feeding in the same fields I scout today and they do not produce nearly the same sightings. In the 90's, it wasn't unusual to count 60 deer in the field at once. That is seriously not an exaggeration. I hunted that same field this year pretty steady. Out of all the days I scouted it in the summer and hunted it all season, I bet I saw less than 30 deer in all days combined.

So many factors are in play. Food is number one. Back then, the places I was scouting were freshly reclaimed strip mine lands and all this fresh grass was planted. The deer were flocking to it. Today? It's nothing but overgrown dry weeds and the deer don't hammer it like they did before.

What's my point? Heck if I know, but I do know there were more basket rack bucks running around than there are today.

Population then? Much better.
Population now? Pretty crappy.

I don't know... pick your poison I guess.

Last edited:

Lundy

I wish there were regulation that gave gun hunters 5 bullets for the year combined, Shotgun and MZ seasons, use them wisely

Bowhunters get 3 arrows, no more, to use all year

That would lead to a drop in harvest of huge proportions in both gun and archery:)

There would be a black market for extra bullets and bolts and arrows.:)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wish there were regulation that gave gun hunters 5 bullets for the year combined, Shotgun and MZ seasons, use them wisely

Bowhunters get 3 arrows, no more, to use all year

That would lead to a drop in harvest of huge proportions in both gun and archery:)

There would be a black market for extra bullets and bolts and arrows.:)

Fine by me. Lol. The last time I broke or lost an arrow in a deer was 06. The same arrow I shot bankshot with last season was the same one I shot the two deer on strouds with this year. And it's still in the quiver for next year. Lol. Out of the 15 or so deer I've shot with a bow I've only broken three.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo

County by county will not work for everyone. Some countys like Highland, Have different habitat from one area to the next. And deer numbers differ from one area to the next. The southeastern part of Highland still has a pretty good population in most areas. And I dont think 4 deer is to overboard. But in our area most hunters are managers and dont over kill. Except for the amish, They kill everything.
The northern part of Highland has less habitat and less deer. How can the DOW make this work? They cant. We as hunters will have to do it. I know that is easier said then done. But its a fact.

Lundy

Fine by me. Lol. The last time I broke or lost an arrow in a deer was 06. The same arrow I shot bankshot with last season was the same one I shot the two deer on strouds with this year. And it's still in the quiver for next year. Lol. Out of the 15 or so deer I've shot with a bow I've only broken three.

I know, I've killed multiple deer with one arrow also, but you are special:) There are a lot of bowhunters in Ohio that would be out of arrows by mid October:)

Some gun hunters would be done by 8AM on Monday morning of gun season, with no meat!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I know, I've killed multiple deer with one arrow also, but you are special:) There are a lot of bowhunters in Ohio that would be out of arrows by mid October:)

Some gun hunters would be done by 8AM on Monday morning of gun season, with no meat!

Oh I believe it. I've seen them work their magic. Lol.

Sam.

Now THAT'S damn impressive. Lol

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I think we had it much closer to right back in 1990. I don't feel like we had an out of control expanding deer population. I don't know anyone who thinks that either. Localized problem areas were addressed with crop damage permits. Much of the state was able to sustain a strong harvest, and the numbers would rebound the following year. Since the $15 tags and bonus gun and all this extra opportunity to whack them. I think we have far less deer today than we did then. Again, I don't know the number, but neither do they.