Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Here They Are: 2013-2014 Season Proposals

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It's got the "no bucks weekend" and drops the "bonus weekend"

COLUMBUS, OH – An October antlerless-only white-tailed deer muzzleloader hunting season, extended hunting hours and new bag limits were proposed to the Ohio Wildlife Council on Wednesday, Feb. 6, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).

The proposed antlerless-only muzzleloader hunting season would be Oct. 12-13 and scheduled for the second weekend of October in subsequent years. The proposal includes making the October muzzleloader season for antlerless deer only, regardless of the method of take, and eliminating both the bonus gun weekend in December and the early muzzleloader season at three public hunting areas (Salt Fork Wildlife Area, Shawnee State Forest and Wildcat Hollow).

Hunting hours are proposed to be extended 30 minutes past sunset for all deer firearms seasons, including the weeklong deer-gun season, youth season and muzzleloader seasons. This will make the hours the same as archery season.

County bag limits are proposed to replace deer zones. Proposed bag limits will be two, three or four deer, determined by county. The proposed statewide bag limit is nine deer with additional controlled hunt opportunities, which do not count against the statewide bag limit. The nine deer bag limit is reduced from last season’s 18 deer limit.

It is also proposed that antlerless permits will only be valid until the Sunday before the deer-gun season. Urban deer zones would be eliminated. Hunters may harvest only one buck in Ohio, regardless of the method of take or location.

Proposed deer bag limits, from the following counties combined:
• One either-sex permit, one antlerless permit (eight counties): Darke, Erie, Fayette, Hancock, Madison, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood.
• Two either-sex permits, one antlerless permit (23 counties): Auglaize, Butler, Champaign, Clark, Gallia, Harrison, Henry, Hocking, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Logan, Meigs, Mercer, Miami, Monroe, Montgomery, Perry, Preble, Ross, Shelby, Van Wert and Washington.
• Three either-sex permits, one antlerless permit (57 counties): Adams, Allen, Ashland, Ashtabula, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Clermont, Clinton, Columbiana, Coshocton, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Defiance, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Fulton, Geauga, Greene, Guernsey, Hamilton, Hardin, Highland, Holmes, Huron, Knox, Lake, Licking, Lorain, Lucas, Mahoning, Marion, Medina, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Noble, Paulding, Pickaway, Pike, Portage, Putnam, Richland, Scioto, Seneca, Stark, Summit, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, Union, Vinton, Warren, Wayne, Williams and Wyandot.

Proposed seasons for 2013-2014:
• Deer archery: Sept. 28, 2013 - Feb. 2, 2014.
• Deer antlerless muzzleloader: Oct. 12-13, 2013.
• Youth deer gun: Nov. 16-17, 2013.
• Deer gun: Dec. 2-8, 2013.
• Deer muzzleloader: Jan. 4-7, 2014.

The start of fall turkey hunting season is proposed to be moved to the Monday following the antlerless deer muzzleloader season. The proposed fall turkey hunting season is Oct. 14 - Dec. 1, 2013. Butler, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Hamilton, Huron, Seneca and Warren counties are proposed to be added to the existing list of counties open for fall turkey hunting, which would bring the total to 56 counties.

Deer and fall wild turkey permits would go on sale June 1, instead of March 1.

Changes in hunting regulations are proposed by ODNR Division of Wildlife biologists and wildlife management staff. These proposed changes, if approved by the Ohio Wildlife Council, will take effect for the 2013-2014 hunting seasons. Open houses will be held statewide March 2 for public input on the proposals, and public comments are welcome online at wildohio.com. After receiving public input, the Ohio Wildlife Council will vote at its April 17 meeting.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Some good, some bad.

I like the additional 30 minutes during firearms as well as smaller management units. Hate the early doe season, especially since you can't shoot a buck even with a bow. Don't understand eliminating the urban zones when that'w where the reduction is needed most.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am adamantly against the antlerless season, but it appears that will happen regardless of opposition. The only thing I see here that I like is that Washington County is a 3 deer county now...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So it looks like they're pulling back some counties also.. Overall I like what I see. I'm going to have to look in to it more. I don't like the idea of the early muzzy season. But I think I can stomach it with the removal of bonus gun and it's distance away from the rut

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I like that some counties limits were lowered.

Maybe it said, but are bucks off limits for the early Muzzy season? I know it's antlerless only with muzzy, but can we still kill a buck with a bow?
with telecheck it wont matter..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I know, but for us honest hunters... I'd like the chance to hunt for a buck that weekend with my bow. I have no desire to kill a doe with a muzzy that early in the season. But, I would still like to hunt.
hell we might as well wear orange all the time at this point.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
it now costs me the same price to hunt in ohio as it does to hunt as an out of stater in kentucky too...NICE

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Some good, some bad.

I like the additional 30 minutes during firearms as well as smaller management units. Hate the early doe season, especially since you can't shoot a buck even with a bow. Don't understand eliminating the urban zones when that'w where the reduction is needed most.
Agree ..funny how we have heard ohio has a dispersion problem yet we just ignored that fact and opened it up everywhere..

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
BLUE = One either-sex permit, one antlerless permit
GREEN = Two either-sex permits, one antlerless permit
Red = Three either-sex permits, one antlerless permit

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.

From schu's link. :smiley_chinrub:
Support for an early antlerless only muzzleloader season was shown by 63% of all deer
hunters, and 43% of archery‐only hunters.

uhmmm, which is it?
o Taking more does earlier helps move the sex ratio closer to 1:1. This makes for a
more intense rut by encouraging buck movement.
o Removing deer early in the season means that resources that would have been
consumed will be available for the surviving herd later in the winter.
o A Pennsylvania study showed its early muzzleloader season had no impact on buck
movement; deer movements were identical before, after, and during the mid‐
October season.
(See graph below.)