Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Electronic caller

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So I'm looking into buying an electronic caller for coyotes. I'm leaning towards the wildfire II by foxpro and that's about the price range I want to spend but any other suggestions or better options? The alpha dog by primos looks really nice but not sure I want to drop the extra $100 on it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Get one that allows you to have two calls on hand or makes it easy to switch. Mine is a pain and I wish that's one thing I had looked at. Anything FoxPro is worth the coin IMO...

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Jesse,
The wildfire II is i think the cheapest call that has the foxbang feature where it switches when it senses a gunshot if you have it set up that way. Is that what you mean? or?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse,
The wildfire II is i think the cheapest call that has the foxbang feature where it switches when it senses a gunshot if you have it set up that way. Is that what you mean? or?

Yeah, something like that. But it would be nice to go from howls to barks without fumbling through a bunch of buttons. My Wildgame Echo HD is a pain in the ass in that regard.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
My grandpa's Fox Pro has the option of putting 3 or 4 calls on preset buttons where you can hit one, then hit the other, etc. That makes moving from one to another very easy. It also has the programmable "fox bang" where when you shoot it throws out a certain call as well. Never messed with the fox bang because I've never been able to get one in to shoot... lol.

I know 3 or 4 guys that are pretty intense about their coyotes and they use Fox Pro's as well.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Wildfire II has presets also for quick changes. I like the call but wished it had a bit more volume and that it came with more useful calls preloaded.

www.allpredatorcalls.com will program it for you with any 35 sounds. Same price... good deal.

Two things I recommend with it are a decoy for daylight calling and a predator spot light with the red lense for night.

If I were to sell my WFII it would be fore a Alpha Dogg. Quality isn't the same but the sound is great if you get a good one. If you don't Primos will take care of it.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
fox pros are very good calls ive got the alpha dog tho i like plenty of volume and it has lots of sounds the expert hunts are all pretty good, i just need to get out and use it hopefully i can get out this weekend.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
With Randy Anderson being on with Primos, he surely had input in to the Alpha Dog so I would think it should be a good call. Almost went that route and wish I had now...

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
its a step above the rest of there calls jesse i had the power dogg it was complete junk no volume and remote wasnt worth a damn, the alpha dog has alot of sounds on it hell its got elk deer and moose on it lol i figure i can have fun with my cousins and hide it by there stands and do a bugle or the bucks fighting lol they wouldnt know what too think.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
LOL Beentown,

I already have a powerful light with a red lens and a gun and most of the other stuff jsut need a caller. Thanks for the website Beentown, they have some good prices on ghillie suits and callers, and actually if the alpha dog is that much better its a pretty decent price on that site.

FoxPro is hard to beat IMO. I bought my Spitfire directly from FP. They loaded the 24 sounds of my choice. I bought a couple of extra cards and downloaded sounds from the internet. I saved them to a file on my desktop and then used the FP utility to make two custom cards. I now have three cards with a good variety of sounds. My advice is this, don't think you need a bunch of different sounds. I find myself using only 6 or 8 sounds most of the time. FoxPro customer service can't be beat either.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, how's the Icotec? It's Christmas time and I'm looking at the 350 since it has 24 calls preloaded and the ability to download more. Anyone?

They sell these at Dunham and Rural King if anyone lives near one and wants to check it out. The closest to me is Dunham about 45 minutes away, but I've found this on EBAY with free shipping.

http://www.icotec.com/products/electronic-game-callers/gc350-programmable-game-call/