Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012-2013 Rabbit season

bluedog

Figured I'd come over here and say hi and let everyone know what I've been up to. As some of you know, J's story affected me very deeply. Life is such a fragile thing. I've never lost a dog in that way, but I did have one beagle killed on the road by a car while I was only 20 yards away. I almost lost a beagle two summers ago when he put his head in a 220 conibear trap. Don't know quite how he survived, but he did. Every day I am thankful for what I have. And even with no unforeseen accidents and mishaps, the truth is that the lifespan of a dog is not all that long and for those of us who have dogs, we will have many in our lifetime.

In 2007, I adopted an adult beagle from our local shelter. I have no idea of her age, but she is still with me today and still running rabbits, but I do see signs of her slowing down just a bit. In 2010, I acquired a young dog from a friend. He is now 3 years old. Then October 2012, I adopted another beagle from the local shelter. Through a twist of fate I actually found out the kennel where she was raised and I know she is 7 years old. She was heartworm positive when I got her so I had to treat her for that. Because of the exercise restriction that is necessary after treatment, I could not take her out running rabbits until the beginning of December. But since that time, I have been running all 3 dogs together all the time. She is an average rabbit dog (and that is probably generous), but she does try and she does have her moments when she outdoes the other two. I feel blessed that she is part of my life none the less.

This is her running second to my 3 year old male.

I will only shoot about a half dozen rabbits per year from my farm so that I leave plenty of rabbits to reproduce and keep the population as high as I can. I am only one or two away from this season's limit. It's been almost 2 months since I last shot a rabbit on the farm, but I run the dogs 2-3 times per week anyway. I just love running the dogs and being outside with them. I've hunted public land a couple times and hunted a friend's farm a couple times. Oh and Thanksgiving was the annual family rabbit hunt on my in-laws farm in southeastern Ohio. Other than that, I've stayed on the home farm.

Of course, my three are all house dogs and today, the three gathered together in the sun coming in through the window and enjoyed an afternoon nap.

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed coming over to this forum this season and reading all the stories about squirrels and rabbits, especially the ones about taking the kids out hunting. So that is my update for now. Less than one month of rabbit season left. But really, the running of the hounds never truly ends.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I love reading your posts bluedog.... I'm still in the morning process and forcing myself too vet back out there more for Katie then myself she's lonely as all get out and shows it daily.... I haven't been of since that fatal day but will try here in the near future.... I know for Katie's sake I need too get her a running mate as she has never really been by her self before.... so I've been looking around for an already broke 1.5 year old.... don't have time too invest at this point as I'm having surgery and will be out for 6 weeks.... but I can't leave her by herself much longer... she's lonely and constantly trying too break out of her kennel ....

Buckmaster

Portage
Thanks for coming around to visit and sharing your insight and stories Blue. You've been missed and please be welcomed.

Huckleberry Finn

Bluedog, I love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Aren't you concerned about educating some rabbits on your farm!? ;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Loved the picture of all three basking in the sunlight. Watched our boxer and beagle lay on the front porch yesterday enjoying the sunshine. Ms. Izzy Bea loves it outside. Can't keep her in the house for long. When our boxer is enjoying the sunshine. . . you know it is a nice day. He is a fair weathered dog. lol

Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the dogs and rest of the season!

bluedog

Bluedog, I love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Aren't you concerned about educating some rabbits on your farm!? ;)

LOL! Funny you should say that. Oh the rabbits do get a good education. I have 3 main areas plus another area farther back where I run the hounds. I try not to go to the same area more than once a week. I usually only get the far back area once a month. But I have noticed that as the season goes on, the runs get shorter and shorter and the rabbits go straight to their holes much quicker. I don't run the dogs in the heat of the summer so it gives the young bunnies a chance to grow up some and then come late summer/fall when I start running the dogs again, I will once again have some good long runs. But yes, the rabbits sure learn what a hole is for by this time of year.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Thanks for posting Bluedog! It's always nice to hear stories from other beaglers. I remember reading one of your post's earlier in the year when you said you were starting to get quite the pack, I now see what you mean. Also great to see the support for J, he has many friends here.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bluedog, are you getting out many more times here in the near future? I'll be living the next six weeks through y'all.... :smiley_crocodile:

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Brock, that was an interesting comment. You have my curiosity going now......switched teams and working for the rabbits?? I've heard of alot of problems but none quite like that. LOL Is she trying to keep the rabbits from coming to you :smiley_confused_vra

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very good stuff Bluedog! Glad you stopped back. Loved the dog pics, especially your 3 napping in the sunlight. Great stuff!

bluedog

The snow is almost all gone now, but there is supposedly more coming this weekend. And for something different, I actually have a three day weekend coming up. So I'm sure I will be out this weekend to see if I can find some of these.....

And let the hounds do a little of this ......

One of my most challenging spots to hunt is right near one of the high tunnels where we grow vegetables. Challenging because the thicket where the rabbits hang out is riddled with holes in an embankment. When the pasture is grown up, the rabbits will make good long runs in this spot, but this time of year with little cover, it is hard to get them out of the thicket for any length of time. But sometimes they will. Of course when they do pop out of the thicket, they will usually run across the pasture and down to the creek and hole up down there. Well we've had some spinach growing in the high tunnel over the winter and last week found that the rabbits had eaten it all. So now I have to go see if I can do a little thinning of the rabbit herd in that spot. Unless something changes, that is this weekend's project. :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Enjoy it Bluedog. I have been reading this and J's adventures and the TOO Bunny Hunt lately. I told my daughter I am turning Ms Izzy Bea into a rabbit hunter. She just looked at me and smiled, shrugged her shoulders, and said "I don't care. You can try if you want to."

Suggestions on how to take a beagle from the pound and turning her loose on rabbits? Should I go shoot a rabbit and drag it around the yard first? Should I just take her into the woods and see what she does?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Take her to the woods. Most of them have it in their blood. You can't really teach them anything but manners imo.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Cool! Thanks Brock.

I agree. There may be a little you can do in regard to dragging one around the yard but, I think they sniff where you walked just as much as where the rabbit was.

Get her out and give her a whirl. If she is a dear family pet as well, I recommend borrowing a shock collar just in case she gets on a deer or something. You never know.

Take a stick and beat the brush and try to get one up for her. That's what I've been doing with Molly. I think she will eventually "get it", but she has a major seperation issue with me.