Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Here's an interesting email I recieved ...

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I didn't know these existed .....

No more Fix-a-flat, no more air compressors, no more spare tires, no more auto jacks, no more tools rattling in the trunk. Will it reduce the price of cars? Will it reduce the cost of roadside service? Will some businesses go out of business?

Coming soon!

They have been testing these for several years now.

Resilient Tech was developing them for the military.

Amazing new tires........................

Michelin Tires... Absolutely SCARY looking...

These tires are made in South Carolina , USA .

SEE THROUGH TIRES

Radical new tire design by Michelin.

The next generation of tires.

They had a pair at the Philadelphia car show.

Yes, those are 'spoke' like connections to the inner part of the tire from the outside tread 'wrap!'

The next picture shows how odd it looks in motion...

Makes you wonder how the ride feels doesn't it?

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these.

Just think of the impact on existing technology:

A. No more air valves..
B. No more air compressors at gas stations...
C. No more repair kits..
D. No more flats...

These are actual pictures taken at the South Carolina plant of Michelin.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
There will still be a life expectancy for the wheel/tire it’s just how do they remove the worn out tire material? Replace the whole rim/tire assy? Or maybe you can just replace the tread part of the tire… Still will need tire repair/replacement shops nothing lasts forever when it comes too cars…… The picture in the beginning looks like a NATO country military uniform not US……

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
TThe picture in the beginning looks like a NATO country military uniform not US……

Michelin is French. I looked but didn't see a dropped rifle in the picture so it might be another country.

Anyways it's an interesting concept.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't see these catching fire with the actual car community. They look awful....

Maybe not but I can think of a guy that spends $200/tire on parking lot sweeper trucks that is thinking this might not be a bad idea. We pick up a ton of nails, screws, and such which require plugs. Most tire places won't plug them more than once. Curious about tread life? We only get 10,000 miles out of them and that is with rotating them and using a 50k mile tread warranty. (They quit honoring the warranty on us though. Still the longest life we get is the BFG Commercial TA).

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Maybe not but I can think of a guy that spends $200/tire on parking lot sweeper trucks that is thinking this might not be a bad idea. We pick up a ton of nails, screws, and such which require plugs. Most tire places won't plug them more than once. Curious about tread life? We only get 10,000 miles out of them and that is with rotating them and using a 50k mile tread warranty. (They quit honoring the warranty on us though. Still the longest life we get is the BFG Commercial TA).

I can see them first being used in places where flats are unacceptable. Police, armored cars, limos, maybe racing. It'll be a while till the average car on the street uses something like this.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would agree. I was thinking baja racing they might catch on. There are applications where they would excel I believe. If the tread life is no different then they probably wouldn't help us. I don't see them being cheap. Even at 2x the cost of regular tires it would coat me $2400 to outfit a truck. Ouch!

Buckmaster

Portage
Washing them would be rough. Time to get out the toothbrush. Imagine getting stuck in the mud? What a mess that would be.

loose_is_fast

McClure
you could never keep them ballanced, one piece of forign matter in these would vibrate like crazy.Imagine mud or snow they would be terrible.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for military wheeled vehicles as they already have run flat tires hooked up to compressors. You can get a "flat" on a hummve and not even know it except for the annoying ass buzzer in the dash. You can't even tell by looking at them. The LMTV I drove had push button tire pressure. From inside you could select highway, mud, sand etc and it would actually let air out of the tires or inflate them depending on the traction needs. It's a pretty foolproof system already.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very interesting Joe, didn't know that.

Cool concept but like everything else, money saved or paid is the clincher.