Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official TOO 2013 Coyote Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you are killing coyotes or attempting to, share your hunts/harvest/close calls here!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've made 3-4 attempts to call in some yotes this winter so far and really have not had much luck. This past Sunday, we tried two sets at the farm and had one coming on the second stand until the guy at the county gravel lot started up the loader and scared it off. We decided to try a new farm out and I found where I need to be hunting! We cut several tracks and had two coming in on the only stand we made, but they got down wind of us. Here is a look at my cousin who was running the Mossberg 500 slug gun for anything stepping out for a quick look in to the field...

My buddy was in the brush with my Benelli and OO Buck...

I was manning the Remington 700 22-250 and covering the field...

Had to sport the new Natural Gear camo that Milo helped me snag from Camofire!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Romeo...are you calling me that for a reason?

First one a buddy jumped out of a creek while driving along a farm lane...he followed it to the next section where it went into a woods. We posted up 2 guys and another guy tracked it around in there...it kept circling ahead and eventually it got shot.

While we were dragging it out to the road, my uncle spotted one in the section to the south come out of a woods and take a dump in the field, then it went back into the woods...maybe 10 acres.. We devised a plan and got set up and drove the woods out, there ended up being 2 yotes in there. Killed one of them sitting along a creek, the other split and went into another woods. Got around behind that woods and drove him out the south end where he got whacked....

I went home for the day, but the guys kept hunting and ended up jumping another one off a creek and ended up killing it...

So there were 4 killed total.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yea....well the coyotes aren't in every one of them that's for sure...maybe like 10%

They are still hard to find.

Get your ass up here some weekend and you can get your cherry popped to flatlands yote hunting...

To see them hauling ass across an open section gives you a special appreciation for them...they can really move.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I were out Sunday morning snooping around before setting snares. We cut two sets of fresh tracks. I told him they had to be close by because the wind in that gawd-awful flat land blows snow over tracks pretty quick. I noticed them about 200 yards away, running. We watched them cover a mile, maybe more. They can cover ground in a hurry when they want to. Incidentally, we were checking an area along a waterway where they often build dens. They had been digging around, so I will give them a little time to finish construction and then we will kill them dead, hopefully.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jesse are you guys smoking your stuff up before heading out? Does it or will it work to conceal your scent? Wasn't sure if it'd work on yotes like it does deer..... Also what kind of tripod you using? Does it pivot?

Huckleberry Finn

I need to figure out how to find 10 acre wood lots in the middle of wide open spaces!!!

You have no idea haha...I was in Gern's neighborhood last week and the deer just stand in the middle of the fields. The only thing is that they are still a mile away!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse are you guys smoking your stuff up before heading out? Does it or will it work to conceal your scent? Wasn't sure if it'd work on yotes like it does deer..... Also what kind of tripod you using? Does it pivot?

I do not smoke up to hunt coyotes. My experience is coyotes are far more intolerant of anything that doesn't jive with their noses than deer. I try and keep my clothes as scent free as possible, but in all honesty, I am tired of that routine at this point in the season, so I just do my best to play the wind. Maybe I'll start going to those extremes at some point, but for now I'll play the wind.

I have a Vanguard Equalizer 2 on there. Amazon Prime for $69.99. It has served me well and wasn't a wallet buster...

Kaiser878

ohio
Coyotes are interesting animals to call in, to say the least. Sometimes they will come rushing in, throwing caution to the wind...Other times they hang up and wont commit... THen sometimes they dont come in at all... THe one we called in and i shot a couple fridays ago came in with another coyote with the wind to their backs..... They were not playing the wind at all....

Its next to impossible to be completely scent free coyote hunting... Between moving from spot to spot in ur vehicle, to getting snow all over your clothes and them getting wet... Like Jesse said, play the wind the best you can and dont worry about the rest... I usually try to set up with some sort of land feature to my back...Liek a high wall or a ridge or a road..That way they cant circle around

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am not a coyote hunter, but I have had them within 20 yds while on the ground, wind blowing right to them while smoked up and deer hunting. Having said that, I wouldn't bother smoking up to go coyote hunting. :) Like Jesse, by this time of year I am over all that.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Killed 2 more yesterday...it was the perfect day for tracking coyotes...ended up taking off work mid morning and hunting til mid afternoon.