Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Curious

What distance was the shot on the deer that was not recovered?

• Under 20 yds

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • 20-30 yds

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 30-40 yds

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Over 40 yds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lundy

Of the deer shot with a bow and not recovered this year, you or someone you know, could you tell me what distance the shot was please?

Thanks

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Buddy- 10 yards. Bow. Muzzy bh. She dropped to get power. High forward. Tracked over 1.5 miles (measured gis). vid showed it perfect till she ducked

GF. Shotgun. 13 yards. Neck. 12 ga. Couldn't believe it. Hammered her, rolled her completely over. She laid still for about a minute then jumped up running tail up. tracked over 1/2 mile and blood ran out. looked everywhere within a mile the next day.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Me on opening day. Shot was "perfect" at 30 yards plus or minus a yard. She was eye level and broadside to slightly quarter to me. Arrow impacted right behind the shoulder, but could have been a touch forward and a high. Should have been a dead deer. Tracked her close to a mile and know she survived. I'm still baffled...

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Me, bow. 25 yards broadside. Arrow hit 3 inches back and 3 high of where I was aiming (just bad shot). I was sure that deer was dead. Never found a drop of blood or the deer. Ruined a deer tracking dog's perfect recovery record trying to find it. Hahaha. However, it was a real bummer. It was a nice Florida buck.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Me on a eight point. Shot was 16 yards and just hit high. Above the lungs and below the spine... Got him a week later thou so it all worked out, thank god! Walked up to him and couldn't believe my first shot didn't hit the top of the lungs.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Me 20 yards complete pass through on a 150 inch buck. Good blood then nada. He hung up on me and I had to hold my draw forever....ugh.
Same day my brother shot a buck and it came to my sons stand and bedded under him. Son said he was closing his eyes and head was dropping and ask if he should put another arrow in him. I said it sounds like he's going out, just wait. Well, it got dark, the buck stood up then walked away. We searched for hours and never found either one. Worst day ever in our hunting experience. That was this year!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Me. About 15 yards. She was sloghtly quaryering away. Knew the shot was high and back as soon as I let it go. The arrow passed through but didn't find any ppd in the area of the shot. Found one small drop in the area of where I last saw her. It started rainiing shortly after that and we lost the trail. Searched the next day and never found her. I still think she is alive.