Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Next deer season's pledge...

My pledge is to be less picky. I will no longer wait for "the bigger one to get a little closer", when there's a full bodied deer right in front of me. I will no longer pass on a perfectly good shot at THIS buck, while waiting on THAT buck. :smiley_chinrub:

* I passed on 2 8 point bucks waiting on a 12 pointer and didn't get anything.
* I passed on a full bodied half racked buck, that was 2 1/2 years old or so and didn't get anything.

I'm fine with passing on the fawn that strolled passed my stand and the 3 point buck that stood, at 8 yards, watching the 8 pointer in the distance, because they're were too small/young. Greed isn't an excuse, it's a disease and as of right now I'm cured, as I refuse to pass shots on perfectly good sized animals, any more. :smiley_arrogant:

Does anyone else have a "pledge" of what they intend to do for this fall's deer season?

Bowhunter57

reo

N.E. Ohio
I pledge to hunt harder in every facet of my hunting. Longer in the stand. Stands in more remote harder to access or overlooked areas. More time scouting year round.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I pledge I will enjoy the time with my bow or gun every time I go afield.

I will pause each time while in the moment, and think of loved ones now gone that I have hunted with in years past.
and if I kill something while I'm out there...So much the better.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
My pledge? Try my darndest not to shoot another spike :smiley_crocodile:

Seriously? I had a great season, learned alot, and really enjoyed myself. Just gonna keep on enjoying, that's my pledge.
Maybe practice shooting all my toys more would be a good pledge.

Diablo54

Outside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359975465.193535.jpg

Put that through a deer

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I pledge: To continue nurturing the growing spirit of a hunter in my son. There is a fine balance between "nurturing" and "forcing". I hope to continue to nurture his interest. Garrett's pace. Just a little poke or prod from me on occasion.

Personally? I would only change one thing going into next year: I will read the rules more closely and not shoot myself in the foot (metaphorically). lmao

beaston

Spend more time in the preseason scouting,practicing and getting my son proficient with his new Diamond Infinite Edge. Be more flexible on the grounds I do hunt,also to possibly lower my standards to 125" but I know when he comes walking through I will just shoot him with my camera.Dang..I'm getting old and Tag Soup is really wearing on me!

Still looking for a new piece of ground I can manage for Trophies and I Really would like to spend a weekend or two in the Big woods (WNF)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I pledge to get my daughters(if they're really serious) prepared to hunt with me with lots of practicing during the offseason. TOO purchase them a shotgun and bow/xbow then school them diligently on the kill zone and proper safety and handling of each weapon.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Nothing different for me. I stuck to last years pledge of not shooting does in my home area due to decling numbers. I was in on some great bucks but never could close the deal. Work kept me from hitting it real hard. I did aquire a tremendous piece of property during gun season that nobody bowhunts at all. To say I'm psyched is an understatement

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I am gonna wack all the does I can early, put less pressure on myself to shoot a 140" deer . Bird hunt more and have fun .