Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sargent Taylor's Hevi Shot

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Well I figure ill just start a main thread for his pics to show the progress..... He is a training machine so far but I limit his training to 15 mins every couple days. Usually we train for 2-3 days then rest for 2-3 days. When I say rest I mean no bumper training but still work on obedience and socialization. Today Sarge went to Gander Mtn and his nose was going CRAZY...... he loved it! He is actually starting to wind things and use his nose more now which is awesome! I was throwing a duck wing 20 yards into CRP/Corn and releasing him, its a 50/50 on a dead line retrieve. If he doesnt get it immediately hes usually within 3-5 feet of it and the nose starts working. He's finally learning to cut the wind and get downwind which will be beneficial on blind retrieves later. Heres a few of him at 12 weeks old:

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Watching them work with their nose is simply awesome. There's nothing cooler than having your dog searching for a bird, seeing actually catch the scent, which stops them in their tracks, and then have them complete the retrieve. Great pics Rutin!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He sure is growing fast, man! Good stuff.

I really should start one of these threads, too. I picked up a dog a couple weeks ago... she'll be 9 weeks old this Friday. Puppies are great fun but man she's wearing me out! lol

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of Evan Graham's SmartWork books. He's got a whole series of books and DVDs, covering everything from basics, to advanced marks and blinds, to force fetch... you name it. It's very good material, though... very easy to interpret and understand. I'm following a combination of his program and Julie Knutson's pointing labrador training program.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Jim, ive been following Chris Akins duck dog basics program which is very simple to follow. They will def wear you out lol..... plus the ladies love em at this age!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim, ive been following Chris Akins duck dog basics program which is very simple to follow. They will def wear you out lol..... plus the ladies love em at this age!

Good deal, man. Akins' program is another solid one. Keep the updates coming!

Huckleberry Finn

He sure is growing fast, man! Good stuff.

I really should start one of these threads, too. I picked up a dog a couple weeks ago... she'll be 9 weeks old this Friday. Puppies are great fun but man she's wearing me out! lol

If you get a chance, pick up a copy of Evan Graham's SmartWork books. He's got a whole series of books and DVDs, covering everything from basics, to advanced marks and blinds, to force fetch... you name it. It's very good material, though... very easy to interpret and understand. I'm following a combination of his program and Julie Knutson's pointing labrador training program.

And we haven't seen a picture?!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome pics, Zach! How old is Sarge now? Was he hesitant taking to the water since it's so cold right now?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Sarge is just shy of 15 weeks. To my suprise he just ran right into it... I cant keep him out of water! He actually had to break ice to get to the open water here, def determined lol

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Man rutin he is a good lookin dog..spent the weekend with mine and she is just great. Live havin a dog like this..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sarge is just shy of 15 weeks. To my suprise he just ran right into it... I cant keep him out of water! He actually had to break ice to get to the open water here, def determined lol

Wow man he's going to be a tank! lol Good to hear he's already got the drive to be in the water... especially cold water!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
5 Month update:

Here is Sarge & the second pick pup that was bought by a kid I went to school with. Dogs name (Satyr)

Now @ 5 Months old:

Some more of Sarge and my son Grayden: