Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fugg me

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Welp,

I have had a terrible season. I shot a doe tonight to try and redeem myself this year. I thought it was a bit high, but with the angle thought I caught lungs. I found the BROADHEAD half of the arrow. So I must have hit the offside shoulder, and sheared it off?

I instantly could see blood when I shot her, followed a heavy blood trail for 70 yards. Then is slowed down, then picked up, then I lost it. It got dark, and I did not want to push her if she was still alive.

What do you all think? I am going to go look tomorrow more.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'd get back after her tonight. Another snow shower could cover the sign she left by morning, and I think they are calling for scattered snow all night. Go get her!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Take a break, eat some dinner and go back in a little bit. Go slow and shine.... should be easy to see in her in the snow. Good luck

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'd get back after her tonight. Another snow shower could cover the sign she left by morning, and I think they are calling for scattered snow all night. Go get her!

That. The other thing is, as cold as it is, if she is hurt very bad, she will bed down and hopefully get too stiff to get back up.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Well guys we searched for 5 hours this morning found 3 beds. No deer, my one buddy has only lost 3 deer in 25 years of hunting. He helped me track, we did not find her.

We found a lot of coyote tracks, we think they bummed her out of her final bed, and thats when there was no more blood, and very few tracks even.

I gave it my all, hardest I ever searched a deer. I have a ton of respect for these animals. I am ready to continue to work to get better for next year.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hate to hear that man. Sounds like between you and your buddy ya did all ya could do.

there is no doubt in my mind I worked my ASS off to find that deer. I searched high and low, and at times I thought I would find her. She was bleeding good! Then her final bed just seemed like it all stopped.

I hit her high, and hit off side shoulder, I must have hit a one lung deal. I am pretty sure she is dead or going to die, just no idea where. walked ever creek,hollar, etc. I just dont know what happened.

Shit happens I guess.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I definately admire you sticking with it. I've seen guys who don't and that is disrespectful to the deer and other hunters IMO.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Losing deer is an inevitable and unfortunate part of bowhunting. It happens to us all, just have to shake it off and get back on the horse this fall!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Losing deer is an inevitable and unfortunate part of bowhunting. It happens to us all, just have to shake it off and get back on the horse this fall!

I deff will,

The thing is on this deer I thought I really made a good shot.

I mean, shot was high I knew that, but blood was everywhere.

I found the broadhead side of the arrow shaft covered in blood, no fatty tissue or nothing on it really. It must have hit off side shoulder.

I found where she bedded 3 times within 50 yards. I know she died, I just have no idea where she could have went. After the last bed it was like she just disappeared.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Things happen Albert and I'm sure the yotes didn't help your cause any. Sounds like you gave it your best in trying to recover her and that's all you can do.