Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shed dog in training

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Well, some of you may remember back in Dec I was talking about flying to Texas to pick up my new pup. Everything came together nicely as I flew down and then he and I drove back here to Ohio. From the time I got him he has had an antler with him and I have been playing fetch with them and started working with him in the field. Today I filmed this little clip with my phone as we where out training. I am super excited to see how well he is going to do with this. So far so good for only being 13 1/2 weeks old. I really need his help to find sheds because....well, basically I suck at it...lol. No, seriously...I really do suck at finding them :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TrVMOPOBrU

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That is awesome Dale! That's a great looking dog as well. I intend on getting another Golden Retriever after my wife finishes up with school, and he will be my hunting buddy. My plan is to work on him with sheds as well.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
That is awesome Dale! That's a great looking dog as well. I intend on getting another Golden Retriever after my wife finishes up with school, and he will be my hunting buddy. My plan is to work on him with sheds as well.

Thats cool Greg, you will have a blast. I just started playing fetch with the antlers and making it fun for him. Then I started about 2 weeks ago really hitting the woods and fields with him to find the ones I placed with out him seeing me. I try and keep my scent off of them as much as possible.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Thats cool Greg, you will have a blast. I just started playing fetch with the antlers and making it fun for him. Then I started about 2 weeks ago really hitting the woods and fields with him to find the ones I placed with out him seeing me. I try and keep my scent off of them as much as possible.

That is a great start! I really hope he picks it up. I think if I would have worked with our female Golden more when she was younger, I believe she could have done it. When we first bought the house we are in, she found two on her own just exploring the fields around the house.

Huckleberry Finn

You have got to be kidding me...a hunin golden!?

deerslayer1985

Thats cool. We have a black lab that my Dad trained for a couple years. He would get as scent free as possible, and go put a bunch of sheds out through the woods, and leave them for awhile. He would throw the sheds as far as he could to prevent the scent as much as possible. He has a couple videos of her getting them. He would yell get a bone, and she would take off and go find one. Then he would yell it again, and she continued until she got them all. So far to date she has found 3 sheds. One of them was actually pretty cool. A buck had broken its antler off in November, and we had the broken part of the antler. It was broke right above the brow tine. Prolly a 100 inch 8 point. In February she comes carrying in the base that matched the broken piece we had. If you keep at it with him he'll do great. I wish we had stuck with our dog more. we haven't really pushed the shed hunting much with her over the last few years.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Nice work. If he likes to retrieve, start throwing them for him as soon as he brings it to you. Make it as fun as possible for him. Tossing a treat really amps them up to get out and search too.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I would love to have a shed dog like that! Nothing's like finding sheds by yourself, but to have a companion like that, would make it that much better! Not to mention more productive TOO. Hope he does well for you and be sure to keep us posted on his progression. Good luck to you and him.