Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Horse/Cattle ---Dog Wormer

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I'm wondering if any of you have any knowledge/experience with Safe-Guard 10% suspension horse/cattle dewormer.

Got slapped with a $400 vet bill yesterday for Panacur for 8 dogs. (I still haven't recuperated!)

After researching for something cheaper since they need to be re-treated in 3 weeks (whipworm) I read that Safe-Guard 10% suspension horse/cattle dewormer could be used at the rate of 1ml for every 5 pounds.

Supposedly, it is the exact same medicine.

Does anyone have any experience with this medicine?

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My uncle uses a horse dewormer on his dogs and that name sounds familiar. Can't save as I've ever used it, but he's done it for years and has never had an issue.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I'm really considering this. I could do all the dogs several times for close to $100. Huge difference!

Guess I'd just like to talk to someone that does/has used it and know it's safe.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard of people buying their stuff at TSC. I never have and couldn't say either way. I am sure in the world of internet we now have, you will find something conclusive.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I can't say for wormer but I buy the dogs yearly booster shots at TSC. Spectra makes them and they are like 7 in 1 shots. We also give the coondogs penicillin made for horse/cattle when they get a bad gash or puncture. It says right on the bottle not to and it could kill them. Penicillin is penicillin you just have to dose it right. I would look up what the active ingredient is and see if it's the same.

I have used Horse wormer on my dogs

It works

BUT you have to be carefull with the dose
I hunt with my vet some
His thoughts were about the over dose cases he sees when people aren't carefull

Don't remember what it dose

But again when I get another Lab
I will probely only use it after it is grown

John

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Thanks guys. I do give all my own shots and de-wormings (mail order---way cheaper!) but the whipworm meds are hard to find.

I know it's the same ingredient, I just want to track down and verify the dosage as I don't want to risk hurting my dogs. I'm sticking with what I have always used on my pups, but that doesn't treat whipworms, which isn't a concern since they don't even see the great outdoors until they go to their new homes!

rooster85

Lake County
Not sure about how well it works, but I've been told a bit of Copenhagen in the water bowl will kill worms. Having been a Copenhagen fan since the ripe ol age of 14 I'd say it probably would work.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I got it all figured out and I appreciate everyone's help.

This particular wormer is the same stuff, just not labeled for dog use and the biggest danger is in a overdose, which is what I was worried about, but I got the correct amounts now.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got it all figured out and I appreciate everyone's help.

This particular wormer is the same stuff, just not labeled for dog use and the biggest danger is in a overdose, which is what I was worried about, but I got the correct amounts now.

You mind sharing for those of us that may try this in the future...