Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cisterns

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Anyone know anything about them?

Would you live in a home that had one?

any info is helpful.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know of a lot of homes that have them. For me, it is of no concern if its a good cistern. We stopped drinking tap water in 1988, so I'm not concerned about it in that regard. My uncle's place has a cistern and the only issue he has is hauling water when it gets dry. If it is an older house, you may run in to issues with things getting in it, but that can easily be fixed.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I know of a lot of homes that have them. For me, it is of no concern if its a good cistern. We stopped drinking tap water in 1988, so I'm not concerned about it in that regard. My uncle's place has a cistern and the only issue he has is hauling water when it gets dry. If it is an older house, you may run in to issues with things getting in it, but that can easily be fixed.

I dont mind well water or whatever just never lived somewhere with a cistern.

If you were renting a place with a cistern who would you expect to pay for the cistern to get refilled? I know we had to get water hauled once when our well ran dry, and they did it anytime of night. Not sure how it really works?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cistern = collects rain water from roof
Hauled Water Storage Tank = no rain water, just hauled water

THESE ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS. Obviously rain water collected from the roof runs across bird shit, leaves, insects, tar, etc... and REQUIRES continuous disinfection and filtration to be considered safe for human consumption. HWST's do not collect ANY surface water and are essentially filled with "city water," which has already been disinfected and so therefore requires no additional treatment components. You need to be very certain which one you have. And the old "dumping some bleach in now and then" routine is not a reliable method for water disinfection.

Being that cisterns utilize surface water, it's pretty much the softest water you're going to find. Well water, in most areas, is "hard" due to dissolved minerals it contains. Most wells require a water softener system. All types of water systems have the pros and cons.

Me personally, I'd rather deal with a water softener and the earth's natural filtration capabilities than rely on mechanical components to keep my drinking water bacteriologically-safe.

Oh, and who should pay to have a tank filled?... whoever is using the water.

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok well I had found a great place out in the country for rent. It has cistern water, and a chick lived there for 4 months.

I am just trying to learn anything I need/should ask to these landlords.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok well I had found a great place out in the country for rent. It has cistern water, and a chick lived there for 4 months.

I am just trying to learn anything I need/should ask to these landlords.

First, check/ask to find out whether it's collecting water from the roof gutters/downspouts. If it is, there should be a series of tanks in the basement or utility room, consisting of AT LEAST a pressure tank, followed by a chlorine mix tank or iodine container, small chemical injection pump, followed by a large retention tank (usually 80-120 gallons). The pump will either be a submersible inside the cistern or most likely a jet pump located near the pressure tank. If it's collecting rain water and doesn't have these FUNCTIONAL items in the treatment train, it's not safe to drink... or cook with, or brush teeth with, etc.

Do your homework and make sure you know exactly what you're getting into, with ANY rental property that you're considering.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
First, check/ask to find out whether it's collecting water from the roof gutters/downspouts. If it is, there should be a series of tanks in the basement or utility room, consisting of AT LEAST a pressure tank, followed by a chlorine mix tank or iodine container, small chemical injection pump, followed by a large retention tank (usually 80-120 gallons). The pump will either be a submersible inside the cistern or most likely a jet pump located near the pressure tank. If it's collecting rain water and doesn't have these FUNCTIONAL items in the treatment train, it's not safe to drink... or cook with, or brush teeth with, etc.

Do your homework and make sure you know exactly what you're getting into, with ANY rental property that you're considering.

That you man! I dont drink much tap water, but I do need to brush my teeth with it!

I might be posting her/his responses on here, if you all dont mind helping me, it is greatly appreciated.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Id never drink cistern water..frog fuck in it.....yuk..

Yea that! ^^^

That you man! I dont drink much tap water, but I do need to brush my teeth with it!

I might be posting her/his responses on here, if you all dont mind helping me, it is greatly appreciated.

If you see something you're unsure of, take a few pictures and post them here. Good luck man.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There is still several water haulers here in Butler County. As I am told there are almost no wells. Most of the county has private Water Assoc. Our gunclub had cistens up till about 15 yrs ago when we installed county water.
I would never drink cistern water unless a proper water system is installed. it only takes one bad experience to ruin your day.