Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rabbit hunt to remember

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Took the pack out today with my son Jeremy and a buddy of his Nick. Up until today, we have used only the bows this season for our rabbit hunts but we decided to use the scatterguns today so we could put some more meat in the bag. I used my BFR 410 revolver, Jeremy and Nick both used 20 gauge model 48 sportsmans. The gun Jeremy used belonged to my younger brother Rob who was killed in a work accident in 1990. This is the first time the gun has been used since the loss of my brother and we reflected on memories of Rob in the field while we were out today. I felt like Rob was with us today, he was only 24 when he lost his life and my son resembles Rob somewhat and is now 25, it felt good to see his gun take 2 rabbits today as Jeremy did it proud. I took a couple with the revolver to end the day with 4 in the bag between us. I wasn't expecting too much today because my dogs are not all that great in the snow. Well they started off a little slow but became better the more they ran. We had 6 good chases and bagged 4 so I am happy with the end result. It's always a good day when I am in the field with my son, today was even more special because of that old familiar 20 gauge I saw my little brother take on many of our hunting trips. He was my hunting partner. You are missed brother.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Thanks everyone, it's nice to have the support of friends.

Rick, you might even remember that accident since you are in the industry. Do you recall the building collapse at OSU during the erection process? It was the OSU Computer Prime Site off Lane ave.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Jimmy, I was not an Operator back then. However, I do remember hearing about the building collapse. Sorry to hear your brother was in it. It is Awesome that you have his gun.....So you can take Rob with you on hunts like this.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great post Flatlander, that's what it's all about. Sharing the memories and making new ones. Thanks for taking the time to post up your hunt.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Jimmy, I was not an Operator back then. However, I do remember hearing about the building collapse. Sorry to hear your brother was in it. It is Awesome that you have his gun.....So you can take Rob with you on hunts like this.

I was just curious and I wasn't sure how long you have been operating, I know most anyone in the trades during that time remembers that accident, it was all over the TV for days. Your comments are all heart felt and mean a lot to me. Thank you all.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Awesome tribute Jimmy! That's what Rob would have wanted, and it sounds as though Jeremy got it done! Yes and I do remember that tragic day. I was in Cleveland at the hotel after work. It was on the news and I will never forget the feeling I had, knowing it was brothers of our trade that lost their lives. I feel for you and your family. They say that time heals all wounds. Maybe so, but it still hurts.