Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Side by Sides

Gordo

Athens County
I'm soon to be in the market for a side by side but don't know much about them.

I want one that'll just about go anywhere I need it too. Obviously a utility type that is nimble enough to crawl through the woods.

Two names that I keep hearing when talking to people are the yamaha rhinos, or a can-am. Just wanted to know everyones thoughts as I begin my search.

As always thanks

Gordo

Athens County
Gator was the other one people have brought up.

When I was managing a horse far years ago we had one of the six wheeler gators. The thing was not impressive at all, but that was 15 years ago. Apparently their new side by sides are pretty sick

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My dad bought a kubota because it was the only one at the time that didnt free wheel when you coast. Our property has some steep hills and it could pose a problem without the engine brake.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Gator was the other one people have brought up.

When I was managing a horse far years ago we had one of the six wheeler gators. The thing was not impressive at all, but that was 15 years ago. Apparently their new side by sides are pretty sick

My dad and his woman just bought one. Don't really have a review on it, as I know they baby it, but from what I hear, it is a real work horse.

Gordo

Athens County
Ill keep you guys posted as the search begins. Gonna start locally and go check out a rhino. Then when i get tine ill make the trip to jackson to check out the cam-ams

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great topic. I have heard good and bad about most of them. I have looked into them and I am no further than where I started. Kubota looks like a true work horse. JD said they had some issues with theirs. Polaris sells a bunch, but I know of people having issues with them as well. The 6x6 gators were known for some issues. I think the Mule is about the only one I haven't heard complaints about but you see them listed in auctions in non-running condition all the time. (Usually govt auctions so most likely beat to death.) I am no help. I do hear good about Rhinos but they aren't as beefy as the others. Take all the good with the bad I guess. I like the looks of the new Gators. Know nothing about them. Hats off to their marketing dept though. They look impressive.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I have a '08 Yamaha Rhino. I bought it new in the crate, I've put 5,400 miles on it and love it. The only thing that I don't like about it, is its kinda noisy motor wise. Great for getting around in the woods and utility work TOO!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
If I was in the market for another UTV? I would check into the Polaris 800 mid-size. They are smaller than the full size Ranger, but comparable to the Rhino in over all dimensions.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Before you start shopping, you need to know what it is that you want from your UTV. Do you need a work horse? Do you want something fun to play on? Do you need the best of both worlds? What's your budget? And so on...

If money is not the biggest concern, then I would suggest you look in to the Can-Am Commander X. I was lucky enough to see one of these in person the other day and you talk about a sweet machine. With Fox shocks, power steering and plenty of power to spare, it is a beast that will do everything you need it to. The only bad part is you'll shell out $16K for one. If I was buying one today with no budget, this is what I would have.

In reality, I'll end up owning a Rhino most likely. This is a time proven machine that does a little of everything in regards to work and play. If you are a Bulletin Board guy, you can find yourself a good deal on a used one in there if you look around. I've driven/ridding in several Rhinos over the years and they are great machines.

Gators, Mules, and Kubotas are going to be your work horses. (Unless you look in to the Gator 850 which is made to rival the Polaris RangerXP.) We have a Kubota RTV900 and it is a true work horse, but it is not something you'll have fun just going for a ride in. Mules are a waste of money IMO unless you own a farm and don't want to go over 10 mph. The one we owned was a slow moving POS. I would not rule out a Gator, but for the money I would buy a new Rhino.

I am not a Polaris guy, but the Ranger really seems to have things in order right now. And if you want the ultimate toy, buy a Razr.

Good luck on your search man. I hope to purchase one in the next 2-3 years!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Well crap... I thought this was about shot guns.:smiley_blackeye:

Exactly! Something a little more sensual then a big 4 wheeler.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good point on power steering. I've driven a razr with and without. The PS is awesome.
My new CanAm outlander has PS. Steers like its floating. And it has adjustable PS. It can be turned off, put on medium, or full go. Not sure if UTV is same.

Gordo

Athens County
Its definitely going to be a work horse for hunting related stuff and hauling firewood.

I want it to have enough power to be able to go anywhere, and sleek enough to maneuver easily through tight spots.

Money is an issue. 16k is flat out crazy! Thatd b worth more then mu truck. lol

Under 8k would be a nice number.

You guys wouldnt b hesitant to buy a used one? I guess it all depends on who owned it prior