Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Choosing one caliber and 3 guns to go with it

Gordo

Athens County
If you had to choose unlimited ammo in one caliber along with any 3 guns of your choice for the rest of your life what everyone would go with.

Im curious to see what trio of weapons and caliber you guys come up with

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If I was limited to one "caliber" it would have to be 12 gauge. One would be a semi auto with a field barrel and choke tubes, the next a pump slug gun, and finally muzzle loading SxS. Those 3 would allow me to pretty much hunt everything in Ohio.

Huckleberry Finn

Sam hit it on the head...

How about a Savage 212, Remington 870, and a Remington 1100?

Oh, in 12...

As for ammo...#2, #4, #6, #8, buckshot and some slugs! haha...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The good old .22 lr. Light. Easy to maneuver. Low recoil and high sustained accurate rate of fire. And you can carry thousands of rounds of ammo. Kill anything from zombies to big game.

Gordo

Athens County
The good old .22 lr. Light. Easy to maneuver. Low recoil and high sustained accurate rate of fire. And you can carry thousands of rounds of ammo. Kill anything from zombies to big game.

That was hilarious man. I didnt see your post as i was busy typing mine. Fuggin zombies

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Unlimited ammo?

.22 mag because of the firearm it comes in. This one is a little tougher with the choice of just one. Two and it becomes way easier with .22 mag and 12 gauge being my go to. Three? Just add .223 to that.

Sidearms generally suck in SHTF scenario as the need for concealment gives way as you just assume everyone is ready to kill you for what you have. Pistol ammo is anemic.

Gordo

Athens County
Isnt there a set of guns that all shoot the same ammo , but each gun could serve a different purpose?

Im thinking a sidearm, and two long guns maybe?(one of which geared towards long range shooting, the other geared towards tactical defense).

I just like the whole idea of having to only stock pile ONE type of ammunition.

Maybe its a pipe dream

Huckleberry Finn

Isnt there a set of guns that all shoot the same ammo , but each gun could serve a different purpose?

Im thinking a sidearm, and two long guns maybe?(one of which geared towards long range shooting, the other geared towards tactical defense).

I just like the whole idea of having to only stock pile ONE type of ammunition.

Maybe its a pipe dream

How about .357 / .38...getting into those RPL rounds or whatever they are called.

Oh, and per the previous posts, .22 and .22 mag

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Myself, I would go with 2 guns. .22 Mag and Auto Shotgun with chokes. Pretty much covers everything and fairly cheap compared to what a lot of the ammo is going for.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
No such thing as do it all other than shotgun. A Ruger 10/22, Smith and Wesson 617 and an 12 gauge pump should be a part of everyones stable, IMHO.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Perhaps a zombie attack and you have to bug out?

Yep. My .22 still stands. I can carry 6,000+ rounds in a backpack. You can fit a 550 round pack in each cargo pocket. That's 1,100 rounds. And a .22 can sustain some rapid fire with amazing accuracy at even 200+ yard distances and still have the velocity to penetrate to vitals.
You can't carry 1000 rounds of 5.56, 12ga or even 45 like that. It's just too heavy. The reason the .22 is my go to is weight, rate of fire, accurate sustained fire, and still plenty to get the job done.

Here is a beef roast being shot at 300 yards with 16 layers of denim. Passes through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No such thing as do it all other than shotgun. A Ruger 10/22, Smith and Wesson 617 and an 12 gauge pump should be a part of everyones stable, IMHO.

I agree I cant even think of three firearms that used the same caliber with out being redundant that I would want in a SHTF type scenario.
This is the closest I can come but there are better combinations if you threw in a second caliber.
.357 mag
ruger camp carbine semiauto, S&W 686, and 1894 marlin leveraction.

Last edited:
What is this ruger camp carbine?

A 10/22 looking rifle chambered in center fire pistol cartridges.

My cousin's wife has taken a few deer with hers in West "By God" Virginia.