Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smoker

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So any of you all use a smoker for food/wild game sausage/jerky?

Any recipes? Tips? Bad experiences I can try to not recreate?

I have the book from sausagemaker.com on its way (much cheaper on amazon btw) and just looking for information

Hillbillydad

Columbus
I've used quite a few recipes from SmokingMeat.com website. The have great cooking instructions but want you to buy their rub. I just use my own dry rub recipe and it always turns out good. My favorite is brisket. 12 to14 hours at 225 and it's extremely tender and flavorful.

badger

*Supporting Member*
I do a lot of smoking, and low & slow is rule of thumb. I use both wood and charcoal (not briquets) The past few years I have been using more maple then hickory. Remember to cook indirect and keep your temps steady and low.

Big H

Medina
I smoke quite a bit and have good success making jerky. I use the Hi Mountain products when smoking jerky and have been using apple wood (mainly due to the fact that my neighbor gave me a garbage bag full of apple tree chips).

Cherry wood is a good one to use with red meats.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I smoke quite a bit and have good success making jerky. I use the Hi Mountain products when smoking jerky and have been using apple wood (mainly due to the fact that my neighbor gave me a garbage bag full of apple tree chips).

Cherry wood is a good one to use with red meats.

My Dad has a real big homemade smoker. We mostly do large quantities of fish and Turkey's, gees, and pheasants. He prefers apple and cherry over any other type

Jamie

Ohio
So any of you all use a smoker for food/wild game sausage/jerky?

Any recipes? Tips? Bad experiences I can try to not recreate?

I have the book from sausagemaker.com on its way (much cheaper on amazon btw) and just looking for information

not sure which book you bought, but one I would recommend is "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas. is the sausage makers bible. lots of good information and dozens of recipes.

Jamie

Ohio
some stuff I finished up a couple weeks ago.

summer sausage done cooking, ready for water bath.

same summer sausage blooming after water bath.

from left to right, summer sausage, german bologna, parmesan sausage

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thats some squirrely sausage!!. His is the best i have had ever. He knows his sausage thats for sure

Jamie

Ohio
Hedgelj, it's probably the only book you'll ever need to make piles of fine home made sausages. Kutas' breakfast sausage recipe is the very best I've ever eaten. I do omit half of the salt in that recipe, though. me and a buddy of mine made 80lbs of it a few weeks ago.

we mix pretty much everything 50/50 venison and pork shoulder, except for the breakfast sausage, which is pure pork shoulder.

all my smoked stuff this year was half venison and half SC feral hog.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Just made 15 lbs of goose jerky this past week. Mesquite hi mountain jerky mix, half smoked with hickory chips, the rest with mesquite chips. I kept feeding the wood chips to it o. The second batch, and it tastes great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365210368.169980.jpg

Right after I got it put together
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365210394.168698.jpg