Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shed Antler Traps....pic heavy

themedic

OHIO
I vaguely remember the first time I heard of a shed antler trap. It was in the pages of a Field and Stream magazine and I was very young and impressionable. After reading the excerpt, I quickly made my way to my parents pole barn and started looking for the needed supplies. Three re-bar stakes and some scrap fence,this should do the trick! I loaded up the four-wheeler and headed into the woods. I found a formidable area and pounded the stakes into the ground and formed the fence into a small “V” shaped contraption. Just like the pages depicted! I then filled the inner “V” with half picked corn cobs from the local farmers field and waited to claim my prize.

I returned a few days later with high hopes of a freshly cast shed…or two in my contraption. But on arrival at my shed trap, I was immensely disappointed. Corn cobs picked clean and no sheds! I filled the trap with corn many times that year, but every time I experienced the same result; No sheds and a empty bait pile.

To this day, that failed attempt has left me a little bitter and a little skeptical of shed antler traps. But with more attention to shed hunting these days and more ingenious contraptions, I feel that a shed antler trap can be an achievable and productive tool. One I feel may have a place in the shed hunting tool box.

However, Before diving into the many types of shed traps. I would like to add that shed antler traps do not replace the need for many miles of boot leather walked each spring, I feel is needed to really rack up a mentionable shed collection. And I will always feel, that the feeling experienced from a shed found after a long day of walking timber, earned the hard way, will always beat the feeling of plucking a shed out of a trap.

Also, a shed found in a trap does not help advance your knowledge of a deer, like that of a naturally cast shed. I say this because I know for a fact that a bucks habits and wintering area, can be altered by a bait pile. Many sheds I find each spring in a non-baited areas, are in a bucks core area and fell during his normal routine. Finding these sheds can be a critical step in figuring out his puzzle. So in that sense, baiting a big buck into a shed trap can take away from this possible gained knowledge. But with that said, I’ll do almost anything to find more bone, so lets look at some shed traps!

Hale Bale Shed Trap- I call this “a poor mans shed trap”. Though I’ve never personally done this, I highly doubt its effectiveness and feel its probably a waste of bait. The hay bale trap is made by setting two hay bales closely together and poring the corn between the bales. The idea is that a buck will push his head between the bales and knock off a loose antler.

A 190" class buck with his head buried in my brush pile trap

Brush Pile Trap- I did this a few years ago on property that was over run with other hunters. It was my way of making a shed trap with out drawing attention to it. I found a freshly cast shed only a few yards from the brush pile but not the mega giant sheds I was after. My target buck did use the shed trap/bait pile and feel it would have worked if he had been ready to shed at the times he used it. I think this shed trap is very friendly for skittish bucks and is the most cost effective. To make a brush pile shed trap, just pour some corn in a pile and stack some freshly cut/green branches on top of the bait pile.

Bungee and Bucket- Again, I have a never tried this but In theory, looks like it would work well. The only concern I have is that bucks in my area are weary of trail cameras, let alone such a noticeably large and awkward contraption in the deer woods. If your deer are accustom to human intrusion and feeders, I feel that this could be a very productive shed trap.

Bungee Cord Square- This trap is made with four stakes and dozen bungee cords. I first time I saw this shed trap was on Facebook and made by a gentleman named Dean Safris. He made the trap and quickly captured the match sheds to a 160 class buck. Though it uses the same theory of the Bungee and Bucket shed trap, I feel that is trap looks less invasive and the deer would tolerate it’s presence much better. To make the trap, pound four stakes into the ground in a square, then stretch a dozen or so bungee cords around and across the stakes. Then pour corn in and around the trap. Below you can see Dean, his trap and the aforementioned sheds!

As with any of the antler traps noted, the traps should be erected and baited during peak shed season. Some may take time for the deer to come accustom to, so starting a shed antler trap now (Mid-January) and running it until the end of March would be my suggestion. Farms where you are limited on access or farms that lack bed/feed (likely shedding areas) are good places for shed traps. Also, if your targeting a certain buck, shed traps and bait piles will likely help make finding those the sheds easier. In closing, I’ll leave you with a few shed antler pictures and get you fired up to make your own shed antler trap!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Very interesting thread. I have a shed trap, but after two years I haven't been to successful yet. It's a cool idea and mine is made with hog fencing, in a tight V frame, # 8 rebar drove in the ground about 3'. It is rigid as hell! So I keep a trophy rock and salt block in it, hopefully it will produce someday. Boot leather is my favorite method, God knows I need the exercise! Lol. Thanks for sharing.

Ricer2231

Very interesting thread. I have a shed trap, but after two years I haven't been to successful yet. It's a cool idea and mine is made with hog fencing, in a tight V frame, # 8 rebar drove in the ground about 3'. It is rigid as hell! So I keep a trophy rock and salt block in it, hopefully it will produce someday. Boot leather is my favorite method, God knows I need the exercise! Lol. Thanks for sharing.

I think the shed trap, your eagle eyes, you use right now works pretty darn good for ya! :)

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Thanks Ricer! Nothing like finding one yourself. My Bro and I have often talked about this, but there's a neat feeling that sweeps over you when you first make eye contact with a shed. Can't really explain it! I would flip the hell out if I ever found a shed in my trap! Just know it! Lol.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You're right Ron. Two years ago I found a really nice one in the snow. I was walking a trail that was heavily used and all of a sudden saw the fines sticking up through the snow. Just a cool feeling. Pretty exciting for multiple reasons.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Ricer! Nothing like finding one yourself. My Bro and I have often talked about this, but there's a neat feeling that sweeps over you when you first make eye contact with a shed. Can't really explain it! I would flip the hell out if I ever found a shed in my trap! Just know it! Lol.

I agree and themedic also mentioned it in his thread. It is an awesome feeling. However, as tough as it is to find them (even if you log many miles at times you come up empty), I think the shed trap is a worthy idea. Thanks for bringing this up medic. It is often talked about, rarely implemented it seems. I know my buddy and i have talked the last several years but yet to build one. Great thread topic!

Ricer2231

You're welcome Ron. I have talked about it pretty extensively with your bro too and he is giving me a lot of pointers and encouragement. I'm getting ready to hit it again this weekend, it's just a matter of time. ;)

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I remember the article years ago about taking a 5 gallon bucket & after drilling holes in the bottom for drainage, put some corn in. The rim would act as a antler stop & hopefully pop 'em off. I just may try that this weekend.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim,
Did you ever have any luck with your bucket trap?

You know, I didn't... but I really didn't give it the fair trial that it deserved. I ran the trap for only a month or so, and it was relatively late in the shed season. That was 2 or 3 years ago and I haven't tried it since. I've been meaning to get it going again but I'm always getting sidetracked by other things. I honestly think it would work if set up at the proper time, for the proper amount of time.

themedic

OHIO
You know, I didn't... but I really didn't give it the fair trial that it deserved. I ran the trap for only a month or so, and it was relatively late in the shed season. That was 2 or 3 years ago and I haven't tried it since. I've been meaning to get it going again but I'm always getting sidetracked by other things. I honestly think it would work if set up at the proper time, for the proper amount of time.
That's crazy, cause I just pulled that image off a google search. Thanks for the material Jim

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

I thought that looked familiar.... Thanks for bringing it back out for another view..... Small world ain't it???? :smiley_coolpeace:

themedic

OHIO
Hey Jim, I was going to add to my article that the bucket should be anchored down. I thought that when the corn is gone the bucket would flip up. Am I correct in thinking this?