Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Last couple of days

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well I've officially hung up the bow for this season and picked up the. 410 too chase bunnies the remainder of the season .... Saturday wentbout for about 6 hours total and had 5 runs with 2 in the bag.... three of them went straight too the hole which was kind of unusual as they typically don't due that without being shot @ a couple of times lol.... all in all pretty good day out was hunting with my old buddy who we've been doing this beagle bunny chasing for close too 30 years.... he's beat up pretty bad and can't make it through the thicker stuff but that's what the dogs and I do hahaha his knees are shot and can't make it out on multiple hunts so today was a solo hunt with just me and the dogs as I only had a couple of hours too be out....
hit the property we did last yesterday and had three solid runs with one pushing 40 minutes had one quick shot and ended up shooting over it lol.... saw it a couple more times but way too thick too vet a shot off.... we had a good couple hours and then back in the kennel.... the wind was howling and the wind chill was low so I didn't want too subject the old girls too much....
Heading back out in the morning with Sam so we should have some good shooting results.... him more than me hahaha....
We'll post up the results afterwards weather is calling for a little snow tonight and some flurries in the morning so we'll see how it works out.... the dogs will most definitely hold up their end we'll see about ours lol....

Last edited by a moderator:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Sounds like you're having fun J and that is what it's all about. Just being there is as fun as bringing the fur home. Can't beat the sound of that howl getting louder....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sure is Rick .... my buddy told me with the wind and temps it'd be a slow day.... but it worked out pretty good lol.... love listening too the girls working the track more than pulling the trigger ..... it never gets old...

Huckleberry Finn

A little tracking snow always helps. Watch out for that Sam fella, though, he's liable to bring out a big bore...something like a 16...dang.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
He used the 28 the last time we were together.... I'll stick with the. 410 lol... man's gotta know his limitations hahaha

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Really all I've used for about the last 15 years Rick.... I break out my Grandads model 12, 16 ga occasionally just too blow the dust off of it.... but mostly either the o/u or pump 410's....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like a great time had by all! I have a Model 12 16ga. Too J. Haven't shot it lately, but the last time I did, I was 4 for 4 on bunnies.

Great guns Ron.... mines from the 20's grandfather bought from a drinking buddy hurting for cash.... this one stays in the family at all costs....

Huckleberry Finn

Mines a Mossburg .410 pump. Really like the lil' fella. I like not knowing I have a pocket full of shells...:smiley_clap:

I'm not a mossy fan but those are sweet lil guns.

I've been looking at a Stoeger O/U in 20....but I don't rabbit hunt enough any more to justify it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, we headed out right when the snow started coming down and by the time the first run started the ground was covered and made for a good dusting too see the little buggers better lol....

First run, it made it around us 3 times with no shots available, the last time it made a very large loop making it down too a holler that is pretty deep that we push out for deer hunting.... Sam and I walked down closer too the dogs since it was apparent the rabbit wasn't going too play by the rules..... :smiley_clap: Just when we got down closer and a more open area the rabbit popped up over he hill and went by me @ 25 yards and the old O/U put the shot right through the old rabbit ears and there laid #1 Probably close too a 40 minute run when it was all said and done and Penney and Katie did a very good job circling it around 4 times I think at last tally lol..... Field dressed and in the game bag and off for #2.....

#2 got going and it was a much shorter run, probably around 10 minutes and it ran in front of me and shot #2, another head shot and in the bag, 2 shots two in the bag so far so good.....

#3 run was pretty uneventful brought around once and in the bag, another head shot and at that point Sam started thinking the dogs and I were stacking the deck against him lol.... Too be honest Sam could of shot the first ons since he kicked it out but the dogs hadn't started on it yet.....

#4 Sam kicked that one out as well (see a pattern coming?) anyways this one made three loops and wouldn't come close enough for a shot, I never saw him Sam saw him a couple of times fleeting and no shot.... Again this one didn't want too follow the script and we had too move a little too get on him and on loop #4 Sam finally got a shot at him, and he made it into a thicket and died.... Pretty thick and hard too get too unless you're a dog which at that point Penney found it and buried it too the point when I got too the area I couldn't see it... After scanning the ground I see a tail sticking out of the snow/leaves and finally got too it.... You'd think she would have retrieved it for us after all that!! rotflmao Maybe not.... rotflmao

Anyways, we had a good day 4 runs and 4 in the bag lots of long runs which gave the dogs a good workout which they desperately needed and they really never missed a beat had them all going with very little trouble.... The rabbits all stayed too the thicker stuff didn't like any of the clearings but never really were going very fast either so these bunnies haven't been hunted by beagles before of very little if any.....

As usual we had a good day, good conversation and some table fare too boot.... All in all a good day in the field..... Hopefully be getting back out here at the end of the week and if Sam's schedule is open we'll be out together again..... Always a good time when we get out..... Stay tuned for the next chapter.....

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Katie and Penny were awesome today. I'm not sure who lost more blood, them or me?

A little about where we hunted. It's an old abandoned apple orchard, apple trees are mostly gone and its full of multi-floral rose small trees and grape vine. Probably no more then 10-12 acres and great cover, add the dusting of snow conditions were perfect.

PS Huck I used a 20:smiley_arrogant:

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Sounds like you guys are having a ball. I checked the serial numbers on my model 12, and it was made in 1961. It's not a vintage, but that's Ric and I's birth year. It's like new.

Last edited by a moderator: