Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Quiting Smoking

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
So I went and got a check up November 27. all was good, go back this past Thursday and due to alot of stress my blood presure was through the roof. Doctor gave me a prescription for blood pressure / tremmors and told me I had to stop smoking. Got "Nicotine Transdermal System", it a patch and only had 3 smokes today. It is like a 1 1/2 month deal but it is worth it if any one wants to quite. I don't crave it's more of the routine I have to break. Get up, cup a coffee.......smoke. Go to bed................smoke. The craving to actually smoking is really almost gone, its the freaking routine.

Last edited:

Ricer2231

You can do it man! I quit rubbing snuff 8 months ago after rubbing for 32 years. I was like you, it wasn't so much the craving but the routines. Especially the feeling of having something between my cheek and gum. It will all be for the better for ya in the long run.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
You can do it man! I quit rubbing snuff 8 months ago after rubbing for 32 years. I was like you, it wasn't so much the craving but the routines. Especially the feeling of having something between my cheek and gum. It will all be for the better for ya in the long run.

Actually Ricer I heard it was harder to stop the snuf then smoking. what sucks is not so much stopping to smoke it's opening the damn package to get the patch on!!!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great to hear Jeff! Hope it works for ya and your able to kick the habit. I'm proud of ya for at least taking the first step buddy!

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
GOOD on you RD! I quit 45 years ago when I burnt my oldest son when he ran jumped into my arms. One of the best things I ever did. If I can do it so can you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck to you, RD... I really think you can do it. If the cravings get too tough to handle, don't forget about the e-cigarettes... My stepmom smoked for 30 years and quit with help from e-cigs.

Huckleberry Finn

Look luck Rdude - sounds like you and Badger could be bitch buddies when you are craving one! That accountability stuff helps

Jill

As a "quitter", I recommend that once you quit you don't ever take another puff.

I had been smoke free for 16 years....then I got the bright idea that I could be a "social smoker" and just have a couple puffs while out with friends. Wrong. After that first cig it took me 6 years to quit again.

Currently 7 years smoke free.

Riverdude,
Quit and don't look back. I wish my Dad would've...and several aunts and uncles. :smiley_dead: Smoking did nothing to improve their health and/or life. It's such a horrible addiction and each person seems to think that they're immune and it won't happen to them.

You still have time. Take care of your health, while you still have it. You can do it! :smiley_ahh:

Bowhunter57

badger

*Supporting Member*
As a "quitter", I recommend that once you quit you don't ever take another puff.

I had been smoke free for 16 years....then I got the bright idea that I could be a "social smoker" and just have a couple puffs while out with friends. Wrong. After that first cig it took me 6 years to quit again.

Currently 7 years smoke free.

That's awesome Jill!

I had quit for twelve years and my wife for sixteen. We both started socially just as yourself. Before we knew it, it was turning into more. Then we lost our son in February and we were back to being "pack a day smokers". She was able to put them back down, but I haven't been so lucky. Right now I have a flu bug and cigs taste like crap to me. I'm hoping that I smoked my last one yesterday.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Thanks everyone, after two days I already cut Waaaaaaaaaaaaay back. Having 4 or 5 yesterday is a big step for me. I did have one so far today. As I said its more the routine, the one I had was wake up, let the dog out and burn a heater.

Not really funny but I a saying I use to use is "I could quite smoking but I hate quiters"............just my humor I guess.