Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live Hunt: Flying solo...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This morning is the culmination of a 4 year quest to become independent in my waterfowling efforts. I'm on the way to a spot I located while driving for work and have been scouting for the past month. I sat about 100 yards from this spot on Tuesday and saw what I needed to know in order to make a quality hide for today's hunt. Yesterday I received a care package from Cabelas with my new Baby Mojo and GHG Life Size Decoys. I also bought a Rig 'Em Right jerk cord set up to go with my decoys. This is a relatively small hole located about 100 yards from the river and seems to be a late morning loafing spot. I'll run a two pair set up on my jerk cord and the Baby Mojo will be to the right of me doing its thing.

I'll update things as we go this morning. I bought a Field Proven Double Shot call for this tight location and it sounds great! If this works, it'll be my first successful venture using my spot, my dekes, my calls and my shooting!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One down! Been awesome so far. There are 3 drakes in the hole just out of range, but I'm flirting with them! They can only resist my love song so long!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Been slow the last hour. The other birds flew off without a shot. I should have 3-4 birds down. Unfortunately I am shooting new shells and my choke is TOO tight for the area. I shot clean over a pair on the water this morning and nicked another that didn't go down. I have a new front sight to install and bought a Carlson's choke set, so I'll be better prepared next weekend!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was getting cold and then landed a drake up the backwater a ways, so I went for a walk to try a shoot him. I was closing in on him when I damn near punctured the boots of my waders! Biggest shed of my life found right on public ground!!!

Definitely from last year, but in great shape!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358605846.771023.jpg

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Ducks N Bucks? Sounds like pretty good bonus! Nice Find Jesse!

A lot of people probably don't shed hunt public due to the assumption it's been all picked over.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Been slow the last hour. The other birds flew off without a shot. I should have 3-4 birds down. Unfortunately I am shooting new shells and my choke is TOO tight for the area. I shot clean over a pair on the water this morning and nicked another that didn't go down. I have a new front sight to install and bought a Carlson's choke set, so I'll be better prepared next weekend!!!

No such thing, my man.

---

Glad to hear you had a successful morning buddy! Although there's bound to be many many more dead ducks in your future, this will be one that you'll never forget. Now where are all the pics?!?!? lol

Congrats Jesse

No such thing, my man.

---

Glad to hear you had a successful morning buddy! Although there's bound to be many many more dead ducks in your future, this will be one that you'll never forget. Now where are all the pics?!?!? lol

Really explain jim? most of my shots are at 25-35 yards. I've been using a modified full choke. Im new to waterfowl hunting so im still learning.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I think you can be overchoked, but I wouldn't say your overchoked for those ranges. That said, I have been shooting my close range Carlson choke all season with great results . Don't take this wrong, but i think your getting excited and taking your cheek off the stock and looking over the barrel . This results in a high miss every time . I almost guarantee thats why you missed that Turkey too