Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hank and panosteitis

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Back September I got a pup from Zach. Really nice pup, he's really become part of the family, great personality and smart. He's been growing like a bad weed, this week he is 6 months and weighs 60 pounds.

Now the problem. A couple weeks ago I started noticing a change. His gate seemed to get stiff and then when we walked he wouldn't range, just stayed close. Playing fetch he wasn't running as fast and after 3-4 throws would quit. Had a friend look at him and he was very concerned with Hank's gate. He didn't limp he just wasn't fluid or smooth.

So I make an appointment with my vet. To be honest I was worried sick that it was hip displasia. i was thinking my choice was going to be very expensive surgery or euthanize him. We get to the vet and he manipulates all Hank's legs, checks the hips again, he has me walk him in the parking lot. Diagnosis is panosteitis, it's similar to shin splints that fast growing boys get. He's on a pain reliever similar to Celebrex and I have to restrict his movement some. In a couple weeks we go back and if he hasn't improved we'll take X-rays. He Should grow out of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panosteitis

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow, the growing pains getting too him??? First I've heard of this..... I remember the growing pains and the bad pains in the legs with the growth spurts that I had..... Soory too hear he's not 100% He'll rebound and be back too himself in no time..... :smiley_coolpeace:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I hadn't heard of it either till recently when I googled dog lameness because hip displasia was the only one I knew. Everything I read and what my vet told me is it's temporary and treatable. The problem is he's growing so fast, Zach says he's 15-20 pounds bigger then his siblings.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Dang sam thats scary...at last vet visit was 42 pounds and that was almost a month ago. Im betting she is close to 50 now and all legs yet. She has not slowed much but i will keep an eye on her. I think a friend who had a huge choco might have had this...his dog was well over 100 pounds and had a mammoth head...he used to get swimmers tail alot and growing pains

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I had Osgood Schlatters disease (grow too fast and the tendons/ligaments lag behind. Causes swelling/pain)as a young'in. I feel for the pup.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Milo it's much more rare in female so you have little to worry about. Id be surprised if even the other males in the litter have problems.

I've talked to several friends that are pretty knowledgable about dogs and this is new to them.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Milo it's much more rare in female so you have little to worry about. Id be surprised if even the other males in the litter have problems.

I've talked to several friends that are pretty knowledgable about dogs and this is new to them.
where did your vet think hank was going to end up size wise when he is done growing? I think Lucy is going to be around the mid to lower 60's....she is still a pup and man she can knock me for a loop when we wrestle...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Man, hope Hank is alright in a few weeks, and he gets past this stage quickly. I've never heard of this in dogs either, but it makes sense that it can happen.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sorry to hear this Sam, but I'm glad to hear it was nothing TOO serious. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!!!

I had Osgood Schlatters disease (grow too fast and the tendons/ligaments lag behind. Causes swelling/pain)as a young'in. I feel for the pup.

Must not have lasted TOO long... lmao

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sorry to hear this Sam, but I'm glad to hear it was nothing TOO serious. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!!!

Must not have lasted TOO long... lmao

The growth moved to my junk. Lol

Really, I had a pretty big growth spurt at around 11. Had the pain in the knees until 15 after exercising. I was basically full height at 16.