Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FL Python Hunt

Huckleberry Finn

Are the Florida boys out hunting snakes!?

Florida wildlife officials say 11 Burmese pythons were killed during the first three days of a public hunt for the invasive species in the Everglades.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission says more than 1,000 people from more than 30 states have registered to compete in the month-long "Python Challenge."

The pythons killed since the competition began Saturday will be processed by the University of Florida. Officials say they hope the large number of hunters will help researchers gather more information about the snakes' habits.

It's unknown how many pythons live in the Everglades. Researchers say the large snakes menace native wildlife in the struggling ecosystem.

Florida law prohibits possession or sale of the pythons for use as pets.

The competition ends Feb. 10

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
11 snakes is more than they killed the entire season when I went. They killed exactly zero for the whole season a couple years ago. The everglades are really cool though. Saw tons of gators (a few a little too close for comfort) and all kinds of birds. Also, even though I am used to seeing gators everywhere around here since they are in every lake, I've never seen gators as big as we saw in the everglades. They were like Volswagen's just under the surface of the water...insane huge.